Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my WRX for 17,000 miles between oil changes and it still runs fine.

That is just the statement for positive effect when searchers look for durability, reliability, etc. of the WRX. Don't do this peeps. More frequent changes are recommended.

I am so busy I just forgot about my car since it runs so well. And who knows what this does 'long-term' to the engine. But it did not seize up, or smoke, or affect mpg, or affect operating temperature at least. I think I had mentioned in a past post about being the testbed for longer oil change intervals. I did not intend to go this long, though. I should have sent it in for analysis.

At 3 years and 55,000 miles now. Only issue is a spurious P0420 code, but Seafoam seems to help with that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would have been very curious to see what an analysis would have told us about going that long. What kind of driving do you mainly do? How did the oil look? I wouldn't have gone half that long even on the best oil, but I won't judge. Cool to hear that you didn't have any known issues.

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
BMW recommends 15k on their vehicles. It’s not out of the realm of oil capability. Just out of character for Subaru’s engines to like anything outside of ideal conditions.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I just am so totally busy, I can't even think straight. I manage time for a clubdub post periodically but...

I did not intend to do that. If i'd have been thinking right i'd have sent it for analysis.

I drive VERY conservatively. Look ak my Fuelly average. That probably averted some issues. Oil was definitely Black. But that in itself, is not bad.

I wonder if it is related to my P0420 code. Car didn't burn any oil though. Oh well; time will tell.

As for buying a used car from me -- I sold one of my Buicks with 251,000 miles on it still running strong. Body was rusting away. Dodge van sold after 18 years with 160,000 miles and running strong. Rear frame where leaf springs attach rusted away.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not an expert by any means . . . but I strongly suspect many vehicles could go this long or even longer without an oil change and not suffer a catastrophic breakdown. Growing up my father rarely changed the oil in his cars . . . much less doing them anywhere near their recommended oil change intervals.

I also suspect damage would be more of a long term issue and would tend to result in issues later in the car's life cycle.

Me . . . I also look at this car a bit differently than say my older pick up. I figure oil is a pretty important thing for the turbo, I intend to keep it for some time based on my past experiences with cars, I tend to drive this car a little more spirited than say my wife's Legacy and I know in the past Subaru has had issues with oil (namely unusual consumption) . . . all reasons why I tend to change the oil between 3,000 and 5,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
I’m going 7500 by the book but have stretched to 10000 myself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It may be worth mentioning that...

...I know a Honda Accord owner who has allowed his 2016 Honda Accord to go 60k+ miles without an oil change. :eek3:

His totally bizarre theory is that (in his words)... "It does less damage not exposing the the engine to oxygen"... :screwy:

I know... outrageous... right? But, there it is... a 'modified service interval'. Certainly, I'd never buy a car from that owner ! :shakehead:

Your 17,000 mile interval would have made me very nervous & likely left me sleepless at night if it were me... But that is just me.

Though I firmly believe you should never let this happen again I commend you for not having a nervous breakdown... or an engine breakdown for that matter. :thumbup:

My old school maintenance has already included a 1500 mile break-in oil change and at 5000 miles I will do another. :)

·
19,727 Posts
10,000 is easiest for me to remember. If you’re under warranty follow the book and keep correct intervals and keep receipts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't think anybody is saying if you run it that long once you'll experience catastrophic failure.

But I'll bet you a paycheck you can't do 17k miles consistently and make it to 150k on the odometer :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is...

Likely why BMWs are so reliable.
...my thought exactly !!! BMW has managed to remove dependability from the automotive equation.

Was picking up parts at BMW the day before yesterday & the service drive was like an über-filled parking lot.

Not because of "general service" for the most part (because I asked)... but, because the newer models are so "reliable"... ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
...my thought exactly !!! BMW has managed to remove dependability from the automotive equation.

Was picking up parts at BMW the day before yesterday & the service drive was like an über-filled parking lot.

Not because of "general service" for the most part (because I asked)... but, because the newer models are so "reliable"... ;)
That’s funny because the bmw engines in general are probably some of the most reliable engines ever put into market. It’s other aspects of bmw that are not reliable. The engines however will run long after the car has rusted into dust.

The only bmw engines that may yield that are the s series engines put in the m series vehicles. However in general they are still easily capable of 150k without any mechanical issue.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think if you drive very conservatively the chance of short- or even medium-term damage with long intervals is minimal. And I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say most people, I'd estimate 75%, don't change oil at anywhere near recommended intervals.

(Sidenote: I love how "we" give advice, as on something like snow tires or oil changes, with great dogmatism, despite the fact that most drivers most on the road DO NOT follow such advice.)

I would bet that catastrophic engine failure due to lack of frequent oil changes is exceedingly rare. I am prepared to be corrected on this. (This is different from my son's situation, as he let his older Acura go without oil until the poor car gave up the ghost.) There would probably be loss of power due to loss of piston ring sealing, etc.

I would also say a well-built engine can withstand the stresses from old oil or low oil pressure better than more poorly built ones.

With my X3 (as I understand it) the car constantly monitored performance and adjusted the oil change interval based on that--could vary from 10-15K miles. When it was time for an oil change a message would come on the screen, and it would offer you the option of contacting your service dealer wirelessly to schedule an oil change. (Not a cheap proposition btw...cost $150-200 as I recall.) Pretty slick, and I'll second what XJ said that BMW engines especially the I6 3-L are tanks. That is not an area of weakness for BMW cars.

Back to the OP if I were you I would put a Mother Mary statue on the dashboard, say a few prayers, and never do it again. And you'll probably be just fine.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I recall that Click and Clack--the Magliozzi brothers--used to talk about Tom (I think) running a car without oil changes to see how long it would last. This was a running joke. (Or maybe a driving joke.)

I don't know how it ended up. Tom had Alzheimer's and probably forgot about the dang car eventually.

Here's what they said about oil changes for American vs German cars:

CLICK & CLACK : More Miles to the Oil Change (washingtonpost.com)

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
Profit does drive a lot of the reason for sure. You can make way more money changing someone’s oil and filter every 3k vs every 10k.

Outside of a few exceptions I follow manufacturers recommendations or longer. On a n/a vehicle I’ll run oil for 7500 or 10k depending. Turbo or performance vehicles 3-5k because I tend to beat on them.

·
19,727 Posts
In my Subaru an ACEA A3 oil is good for 10K, the data are not worrisome at all so I've no qualms.

Subaru's OCI requirements are embarrassing if not outright offensive and I'm getting angry just thinking about them. No respect whatsoever for the customer or the environment.

BMWLL specs exceed ACEA A3 and that, plus the much larger sumps used by BMW cars, would certainly mean that the maker's 15K OCI is reasonable and safe. Besides, if you're driving around in a BMW and not wearing a disguise you've got bigger problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oil change intervals...

Turbo or performance vehicles 3-5k because I tend to beat on them.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yes !^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As a rule I'm not rough on the WRX, but I absolutely agree with the 3-5k axiom. :thumbup:

It makes perfect sense to spend a little bit now to try and avoid spending a lot more later. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts