Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16 STI with around 8k on it. Yesterday I was driving home and when I tried to shift into 2nd gear one time, it fought back. When I did get it into 2nd, it made a nasty sound (made my heart sink). I was going about 25 MPH and not driving hard at all. What might of caused this? I have an issue where sometimes 2nd gear has a notchyness to it when shifting. Not sure if its related? It drove home the rest of the way just fine, no other noises or bad feelings.

I am primarily concerned about the noise it made, I'm worried I may have ground the gear or syncro (is second syncro'd?).

I've never had this happen before that I can think of and just want to play it safe.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take it to the dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
It happened once. What am I taking it there for? I imagine they'd need to dismantle the transmission in order to find anything. I took it once to the dealer I bought it from and they wanted to charge me to take it apart and then if nothing was wrong I was on the hook for the hours of labor.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,792 Posts
That's not how warranty works and you need to find another dealer.

You should have 100% coverage at this point and having a bunch of randoms on a forum shoot ideas of what it could be at you you have a warranty that will cover it for you.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the car cold? My STi fights me going into second until the car/transmission is warmed up.
Yes it was. I didn't consider that. Should I just put it back in neutral when it fights back? I imagine it'd damage the gears.

Btw, rarity or flutter shy? Personally, FS when she's pissed and Rarity when shes trying to annoying someone:-d

------

15,792 Posts
Rolling you shouldn't have much issue hitting second from first gear. A down shift can be tough if your not spot on.

However if you are worried a good dealer should address your concerns with a smile.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So yeah, about that...I have a cobb stage 2 kit and aftermarket shifting bushings...along with a kartboy STS...Wonder how well that'll sit. Probably if I never mention it it wouldnt be an issue, up until they need to either fix or replace something. Or should I be ok? There isn't really a mod friendly place around here is my main issue.

15,792 Posts
I mean, you've got a bunch of shifter modifications, you could have a problem there. That is helpful information to start with

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The shifter just got put in 2 days ago. I've had the issue of it not going into second a few times before, but seldom (very very very rarely). I had an issue where I get this notchy feeling when shifting into second and I believe it occurred prior to installing the bushings because I remember still noticing it after they were installed...so short answer, yes to my best memory.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to reiterate, none of the issues I have are reproducible. They occur randomly. The second gear not catchy and making an odd noise has only happened the one time in recent memory. So taking it to the dealer would be pretty difficult because there is nothing to really "show"

15,792 Posts
Could be loose linkage, bad synchro, clutch not completely disengaging, something not adjusted correctly, a stack up of manufacturing tolerances that are not in your favor. Probably others I can't think of.

I would start with the linkages first. Check make sure it's all right and not floppy. There was an issue with firewall cracks that would prevent the clutch from engaging and disengaging properly, make sure installed parts are installed correctly.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could be loose linkage, bad synchro, clutch not completely disengaging, something not adjusted correctly, a stack up of manufacturing tolerances that are not in your favor. Probably others I can't think of.

I would start with the linkages first. Check make sure it's all right and not floppy. There was an issue with firewall cracks that would prevent the clutch from engaging and disengaging properly, make sure installed parts are installed correctly.

The person who installed my bushings used to work for the top tuning company locally (owner went to Cobb). I believe he now works for Cobb too. In that regard, I'm sure the bushings were done right, you should have seen him install the stage 2...sight to behold.

How do I check the linkage? I assume just follow the shift arm to the transmission. Once there anything specific I should look for?

Also any chance you have documentation on that firewall thing? I can't think of any time I've had this issue with other gears, it's definitely a first->second only.

Appreciate all the assistance, I am very paranoid about my baby. Hell, I hardly beat on it and when I do, I avoid redline to keep it mint. Since the tune is meant for warm weather I'm hardly going over 3k/rpm.

15,792 Posts
Follow the linkage to any joint, make sure there isn't play and slop. You can Google WRX firewall cracks and it should come up.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Follow the linkage to any joint, make sure there isn't play and slop. You can Google WRX firewall cracks and it should come up.

How rarely the issues occur, do you think it'd be linkage related? I will definitely be checking this when the weather changes.

I found info on the firewall cracking, I don't think at this time thats the issue but I will need to investigate further.

If anyone else has some suggestions, please post them so I can check everything at once.

Not sure if this could be the issue, but I found a post on another side about someone having this kind of issue with a WRX and it was the throw out baring. What do you guys think?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.