ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello subbie fans. Quick question. I was thinking bout getting a 16 g Turbo. Would it do any better then my stock vf39 Turbo. I got tmic. And does a journal bearing Turbo pretty good. ?. Info me

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
The 16G is one of those turbos people tend to say "the car should have come with." I am guessing you have a 2.5L motor. If that is the case you should consider looking at maps for the 16G vs., say, something like an 18G or 20G, because you might find that the increase in output you'd get from the 16G may not have as good bang:buck as the larger turbos.

As far as reliability buy the vendor not just the turbo. I would trust any Mitsubishi turbo as they all seem to be well established. The differences in bearing design from one turbo to another are interesting but in and of themselves they'd not break a deal (compared to something like water cooling vs. no water cooling, for example).

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Sure. I just think that with a 2.5L you could get more output from something in the same family but with more flow. If you had a 2.0L I'd say the 16G is about ideal (bigger than a 14B, smaller than an 18G!).

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
The 16G would not be a worthwhile upgrade for an STI.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Not to mention there are currently about 4 different 16g compressor configurations out there right now. A Blouch Td05-XT16G with an 8cm hot side will easily outflow a VF39 an be more efficient. But if your spending that kind of coin I would do the XT18G

1 - 6 of 6 Posts