Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pluses and minuses of these different size rims? Will the car handle better but have a bumpier ride with larger rims?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
droogie said:
What are the pluses and minuses of these different size rims? Will the car handle better but have a bumpier ride with larger rims?
The main reason (wasn't for looks) that bigger wheels were developed was to clear bigger brakes. That being said a smaller side wall (larger wheel diameter, but still using same overall tire diameter) will provide a "stiffer' sidewall and better turning characterisitics. This can be also accomplished w/ a stiffer sidewall tire- common in hi po tires. Bigger rims will give a harsher ride (smaller side wall) than a smaller rim w/ the same tire. Bigger rims will damage more easily than the same rim in a smaller diameter (smaller side wall again). Bigger rims weigh more (purely a function of size). Some use a certain size rim for availibility of a certain brand/width of tire they want to use.

I prefer smaller rims (16") simply for weight savings (Volk TE 37's) and use a hi po tire (Toyo T1S) to get the performance I need. They suit my needs, but may not suit someone elses.

Big Sky

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: Re: 16", 17", or 18" rims

Big Sky WRX said:

The main reason (wasn't for looks) that bigger wheels were developed was to clear bigger brakes. That being said a smaller side wall (larger wheel diameter, but still using same overall tire diameter) will provide a "stiffer' sidewall and better turning characterisitics. This can be also accomplished w/ a stiffer sidewall tire- common in hi po tires. Bigger rims will give a harsher ride (smaller side wall) than a smaller rim w/ the same tire. Bigger rims will damage more easily than the same rim in a smaller diameter (smaller side wall again). Bigger rims weigh more (purely a function of size). Some use a certain size rim for availibility of a certain brand/width of tire they want to use.

I prefer smaller rims (16") simply for weight savings (Volk TE 37's) and use a hi po tire (Toyo T1S) to get the performance I need. They suit my needs, but may not suit someone elses.

Big Sky

i have always wondered...are there any braking upgrades that actually fit under your 16 inch te37? i want a lil more bite in my brakes...but dont know how to get it...and i still want to keep 16 inch wheels for acceleration purposes.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
The TE's have alot of room for brake upgrades by their design, I haven't explored them much as I still run my oe wheels in the winter, thus those are the options I have explored- as you know they don't have a heck of alot of room.

If your not using your oe wheels and want to use lightweight wheels (ie Volk), look at the AP setup Rallyperformance carries. It's built for 16" wheels (not 16X6.5 however:( ), its a jim dandy setup.

Big Sky

1 - 4 of 4 Posts