Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am 15 years old and and want to buy a Subaru. Specifically a 2018 WRX. (I don't plan on buying until December- February) I know that I can't take out a loan for this and that someone will have to have it under their name, but my grandpa has agreed to pay half of the car. I want to have a loan for the other half, and I have a job to make the payments along with: gas, oil changes, and other repairs nessesary. The money I would save from now until I get the car would be apart of the down payment along with my grandpas money. My parents have agreed to pay the expensive insurance that I will most likely have. In my head I have every thing laid out. I still worry about something happening to the car. I am a good driver and would never do something that might cause an accident and I know that if I had a WRX I deffinitly wouldn't do anything to damage it. I know this could most likely be a bad idea, but I have a list of features I want on my car, a maximum price I would pay for the trim of the car, the most percentage I will take on the APR, and the total I will pay with the delearship fees. I just want to hear other peoples opinion. Should I wait to get a WRX, and get some other car now? Or should I go for the WRX now? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, I am 15 years old and and want to buy a Subaru. Specifically a 2018 WRX. (I don't plan on buying until December- February) I know that I can't take out a loan for this and that someone will have to have it under their name, but my grandpa has agreed to pay half of the car. I want to have a loan for the other half, and I have a job to make the payments along with: gas, oil changes, and other repairs nessesary. The money I would save from now until I get the car would be apart of the down payment along with my grandpas money. My parents have agreed to pay the expensive insurance that I will most likely have. In my head I have every thing laid out. I still worry about something happening to the car. I am a good driver and would never do something that might cause an accident and I know that if I had a WRX I deffinitly wouldn't do anything to damage it. I know this could most likely be a bad idea, but I have a list of features I want on my car, a maximum price I would pay for the trim of the car, the most percentage I will take on the APR, and the total I will pay with the delearship fees. I just want to hear other peoples opinion. Should I wait to get a WRX, and get some other car now? Or should I go for the WRX now? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,413 Posts
This has to be trolling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,413 Posts
Your not old enough to grow a beard or vape so why would you own a Subaru?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
I was going to recommend going with a Bugati or Corvette . . . but just on the off chance this is not trolling and truly an interested 15-year old.

I suspect most everyone here would say about the same thing in similar words. Wait. Save your money . . . and retain the dream. Get a more practical used car and hone your driving skills on an Accord, Camry, Corolla, etc. or even something fun like an older Celica. While you may think you are a good driver (and there is a chance you might be), experience has shown that this is generally not a great car for a teen-age driver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly, get a beater car first .... something that is not so expensive until you learn how to drive. If I would have had a WRX as my first car it would not have turned out well at all. I am sure that you are thinking that you would treat it great and baby it .... and you might, at first. Then as time goes by, say two weeks, you will realize that you can push the car harder than you have, and you will.

I offer this advice as a person that has actually been trained to drive, get a couple of years of driving under your belt first. As a new driver you are going to come into situations that are going to be new experiences for you and your reaction time in deciding how to handle the situation will be delayed, or worst case scenario, the wrong decision.

If your family is willing to help you get a new car, surprise them by asking for a learner car for now, and when you get closer to getting your HS diploma, then ask about getting a better car. It will work out better that way for all involved, including you. Just my opinion, however, opinions are like *******s, everyone has one and they usually stink.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Chances are the first car you own you will crack up in some way. Don't let it be a new WRX. The forum guys (and gals) here would not forgive you :)
Don't go into debt until you are at least old enough to be self sufficient.
Show grandpa how responsible you are by asking for a portion of his offer to purchase a practical car like the other suggested-- Honda Civic or something like that, get a few years under your belt. Once you have shown to be a responsible young adult I am sure grandpa will be happy to help you finance that new WRX.
Good luck!

·
Æternum
15,853 Posts
I thought this was a troll, but the IP address matches none of you cretins...

Unless you're being clever and using a VPN :confused1

·
Æternum
15,853 Posts
One thread please!!!

EDIT: Threads merged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get a older subaru wrx or a new impreza don't go past your means for your first car. I understand the urge to get the latest and greatest but its not worth the constant payments to worry about and the inexperience with high power and turbo. You don't have to get honda civic, you would be better off with a cheaper subaru( if thats what you really like) that you can mod and learn about working on subaru's to prepare for your brand new Wrx. Good luck either way though, its up to you :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
The car is not even fast so you'll be fine. No different than if your parents got you a brand new accord.

Main differences would be insurance rates and maintenance costs. Not many people driving an Accord are going to be out $1250 because they ran over a screw and it punctured the sidewall of their tire (true story :().

·
Registered
347 Posts
Main differences would be insurance rates and maintenance costs. Not many people driving an Accord are going to be out $1250 because they ran over a screw and it punctured the sidewall of their tire (true story :().
Let's be honest he's going to have a lot of help paying for this car. And he'll have a warranty for the first 3 years. The real question is why did you pay 1250 for a tire?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Let's be honest he's going to have a lot of help paying for this car. And he'll have a warranty for the first 3 years. The real question is why did you pay 1250 for a tire?

I am guessing AWD = 4 new tires after x amount of wear.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts