Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a base 2015 WRX and am planning to install an aftermarket heated seat kit, but have been finding mixed answers about an issue I might run into.

This is the kit that I have purchased: Heated Seats Amazon

Another user on this forum posted a how-to step-by-step instruction post about installing heated seats, but they only installed the heat pad onto the driver's seat. I know that the passenger seat has an occupancy sensor pad located just under the fabric on the base of the seat, and so I was wondering if by installing the heat coils directly above it that might affect the sensor? It is to my belief that the sensor is triggered simply by weight, so practically speaking I don't believe that this should be an issue. I have read on other car forums that some users were also worried about the install, but haven't been able to find a good answer.

Upon taking my vehicle to car toys and asking how they would install it, they told me that they do not put a heat pad on the base of the seat but do put one on the back portion. However, they did't have a very good explanation for why that is the case, it might be to protect themselves from a liability issue.

If anyone could advise that would be great!

Thanks,

Paul

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Looking at my service manual, ODS section mentions a "sensor mat." And in the diagnostic tools section it talks about multimeters and electrical dongles. This makes me think the sensor is some sort of strain gauge. Not a pressure sensor.

It does mention not messing with the seat cushion and frame individually; only replace as a unit if needed. It also says if the seat cover is removed, be careful of a wire in there.

My 15 has the heated seats but I have never seen the set-up inside the seats. I'd have to see the passenger set-up to be sure, but I'd guess if the occupant detection mat and the heater mat are separated by padding, you could simply add the heater mat on top in yours after a section of padding. But that is a total guess without seeing things......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts