ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my wrx on friday ( 3-30 ) and the car is absolutely everything i was hoping for. quick, agile, and the all wheel drive is impressive. anyways, i had the short throw shifter installed as on option when i ordered the car. I'm not impressed. it doesn't feel clean like you'd expect a new car to feel. A couple friends that i've talked to about this have told me the trans probably has to be broken in a little. Also sometimes i get rejected when shifting into 3, and reverse is 75% of the time a stubble to get into. I've put just under 400 miles in 3 days. so i've done a lot of driving, at least for me. any recommendations? i'm thinking ill call the dealer this week.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Aftermarket rear & front shifter stay bushings will improve shifter feel.The Short shifter does nothing for shifter feel.It only shortens the throw.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you no, i've read that. and i had a thread started asking if those bushings made a difference. after getting all the great respond's i called my sales men and told him to add that to the option list. when i asked him if the bushings were put in on friday he said when i asked the parts guy he looked at me like i had three eyes and said it comes with the short throw shifter... proooobably didn't have those installed. :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I have the factory STS as well and will be ordering some Kartboy bushings as well. I've read a lot of people recommending them and that shifting gets much much better with the bushings installed. All I need to make my mind up about getting the Kartboy STS too lol..

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Also, and it may just be me getting used to it, but on the stock shifter I feel that it has gotten a bit better after some more miles.

I'll still be getting a sts eventually anyways ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah i picked up my '12 on 3/18 and have the spt sts port installed and im having issues putting the car into reverse. if the car is in motion, and i come to a stop, (i.e. 3 point turn, or even parking the car) i cant get it into reverse. i have to go through the rhythm of shifting through gears and then putting it into reverse. by far, the only gripe i have with the car is the tranny. i drove my friends '11 STi and its night and day. i hope it gets better over time.. :unhappy:

·
Registered
241 Posts
i have a spt sts without upgraded bushings. a combination of get bushings, break it in and getting use to it should do the trick. it took me a few thousand miles to break it in and get use to the way the wrx shifts, so it will take some time but i can say that mine is now pretty smooth. as far as bushings go from what i can tell there is no difference between the kartboy and cobb but the cobb is $5 less.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I received the part Thursday. Finally had time to install in this morning. Not a hard install but when I had both bushings in my hands I sure was skeptical if I had the right part. They were identical, other then the diameter of the bushing hole. The new bushing was only .20 smaller in diameter. Skeptical it was going to change my outcome I installed and after a 45 min test drive i was proven wrong. My shifts were smooth as I expected!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Reverse sucks in my car too. I'm pretty sure its because reverse uses a straight cut gear. Thsts also why we get the wind up toy sound when backing up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one having trouble going into reverse :)
"12 wrx
My salesman told me when going into Revers if it doesn't work pit it into first the go to revers. I had the factory WRX short throw installed in mine and it took a little while to break in and fully feel solid the worst if you can call it was was 4th to 5th. It takes time to get used to it. Though I do plan on new bushings myself.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Most aftermarket bushings are near identical rip-offs of the Kartboys (I have Cobb since I also ordered their STS lever). The shifts are noticeably stiffer with the new setup, but they are obviously shorter and more direct. I expect them to become easier with some more miles.

I also have trouble with Reverse at times.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts