ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes, all intakes need a tune if you want your car to run properly. If you want to use the Cobb AP along with a Cobb tune you only have 2 choices which are the Cobb SF and AEM. To be honest, an intake is not really worth the money on these cars and can be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Depends what you already have and what your plans are for the car. For more power a tune alone will be a nice increase in power while making the car much smoother.

·
Registered
150 Posts
after you get bored with that, a turboback exhaust is a good next step. Thats a catback plus a downpipe.(in case you didnt know)

·
Æternum
20,951 Posts
I always get a kick out of intake mfcr claims... this is how they typically get these numbers:
Run 1: Dyno run all stock
Run 2: Intake + Tune dyno run

Where is the info on stock intake and tune? ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
In terms of OTC tunes ... I've run my car on both a Cobb AP stage 1 93 & stage 1 93 with SF (Cobb intake for those not familiar with "SF"). Now Cobb claim a few more percentage HP & TQ with the intake over just a stage 1 tune. Numbers from their website stage 1 on 93 =+13% HP & +17%TQ over stock (HP223->253 & TQ255-> 299 not sure what they used for a dyno). With the install of the SF and re-tune with OTS 93 +SF they claim +16.6% HP & +21.2% TQ over stock (roughly 3.6% more HP with SF & 5.2% more TQ over stage 1 without SF &). so what we have to entertain here is that we can tune the car a little differently with the intake.

What I noticed subjectively driving between the stage 1 tune and the stage 1 tune with the SF is that the turbo spools up a little quicker with the SF and the car seems to pull a little harder. Just as a side note, be aware that the intake (at least the Cobb SF) makes a lot of noise, even when driving normally that some may not like.

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
664 Posts
I always get a kick out of intake mfcr claims... this is how they typically get these numbers:
Run 1: Dyno run all stock
Run 2: Intake + Tune dyno run

Where is the info on stock intake and tune? ;)
for a magazine a shop in ohio or michigan did everything on a 09 wrx. the AEM alone intake added some nice power! the DP added some nice power. the DP and CAI killed the power! they needed to tune after that and over all it was very nice! the saying for the "CAI in these cars isnt worth it", is only for the 07 and down. the 08+ love intakes and its very worth it at any level.

OP do you have an AP? if you do or if you dont buy a Torqued Performance stage 1 and stage 2 combo pack for like $120. you get 9 tunes with each for any intake. in the end your overall increase will be a huge surprise and Eric is awesome if you need help. also if it were me id get a CAI and not a short ram. 1. the short ram hurts power because it pulls in to much heat. 2. the CAI's for these cars are nicely made and none will see water ingestion so dont worry. 3. i plan for the furture so id get at least a 73mm MAF and thats made by KSTech.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
for a magazine a shop in ohio or michigan did everything on a 09 wrx. the AEM alone intake added some nice power! the DP added some nice power. the DP and CAI killed the power! they needed to tune after that and over all it was very nice! the saying for the "CAI in these cars isnt worth it", is only for the 07 and down. the 08+ love intakes and its very worth it at any level.

OP do you have an AP? if you do or if you dont buy a Torqued Performance stage 1 and stage 2 combo pack for like $120. you get 9 tunes with each for any intake. in the end your overall increase will be a huge surprise and Eric is awesome if you need help. also if it were me id get a CAI and not a short ram. 1. the short ram hurts power because it pulls in to much heat. 2. the CAI's for these cars are nicely made and none will see water ingestion so dont worry. 3. i plan for the furture so id get at least a 73mm MAF and thats made by KSTech.
I disagree with most of the stuff you've said in this post. An intake would be the LAST thing I'd do to a car. You're going to make better power by going stage 2. KSTech is garbage, if you NEED a big MAF then you should go Perrin. Most people will not need to go big MAF, ever.

·
Banned
664 Posts
I disagree with most of the stuff you've said in this post. An intake would be the LAST thing I'd do to a car. You're going to make better power by going stage 2. KSTech is garbage, if you NEED a big MAF then you should go Perrin. Most people will not need to go big MAF, ever.
you have once again proven your ingorance, thank you very much. you never will get another responce from me because you absolutly know nothing! i didnt responed to your last retarted post in the other thread because of how much ingorance you sling and i shouldnt even be saying this. you dont have our cars so untill you do and you learn anything keep your mouth shut and move on.

·
Banned
664 Posts
OP i feel bad. some of the people here are just clueless. im not trying to show disrespect to this forum, you or give incorrect advice! but you should really look here since its for our cars only and guys on here have been here for YEARS with an ass load of work and experience!

3GWRX.com - Index

·
8,921 Posts
you have once again proven your ingorance, thank you very much. you never will get another responce from me because you absolutly know nothing! i didnt responed to your last retarted post in the other thread because of how much ingorance you sling and i shouldnt even be saying this. you dont have our cars so untill you do and you learn anything keep your mouth shut and move on.
That because you have no factual evidence to back any of your posts. Until you do, it's probably better that you stop posting. :) Thanks for playing though! You should probably stick to other forums so people who come here looking for sound advice can get some from people who actually know something.

OP, your intake isn't the most restrictive thing on your car. I also would stay away from brands like K&N and stick with products that have the R&D into these cars. IF you want to go with an intake Cobb, AEM and Perrin is what I would go with because they've been in the Subaru market for a while. It also really depends on what tuners are available in your area. If you have local guys that tune you should ask whoever you pick to tune what they think is best. Honestly, if you want the best bang for your buck you should find a used DP and get a protune.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had the Cobb SF Intake on my WRX and I started to hate the sound of it after awhile. Also, it doesn't add much power at all. If you get an exhaust then you probably won't hear it, but that's just me.

·
8,921 Posts
I had the Cobb SF Intake on my WRX and I started to hate the sound of it after awhile. Also, it doesn't add much power at all. If you get an exhaust then you probably won't hear it, but that's just me.
Swapping out your intake is inevitable if you plan on extensive mods. I maxed out my MAF twice, once on stock air box and then I had an SRI that was slightly larger. So I finally had to cave and get a big MAF. It's not really a necessary mod if you're doing stage 2 and stopping there. Money could be better spent elsewhere on something like suspension upgrades where you'd see better performance gains.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
K&N honestly isn't a bad intake. They have been in the game longer than anyone else. But I would probably go with the AEM due to the dry filter. And the MAF isn't what really gets maxed out. It's the factory scaling. The OEM scaling only goes out to about 4.69 volts. The MAF is good for 5 volts. The 16 bit ECU's had a hard limit of 300 g/s while the 32 bit are good up to about 400 g/s. I ran an 18G pushing 22psi up to redline and never came close to maxing out the MAF. This was with my old APS 65mm. I had to do a little reprogramming to overcome the 300 g/s limit so I could scale my MAF up to 5 volts. I think the 08+ WRX's/STI's respond much better to intakes due to flowing more air with the AVCS on both the intake and exhaust now. Still would retune though. Just my .02

·
Banned
664 Posts
K&N honestly isn't a bad intake. They have been in the game longer than anyone else. But I would probably go with the AEM due to the dry filter. And the MAF isn't what really gets maxed out. It's the factory scaling. The OEM scaling only goes out to about 4.69 volts. The MAF is good for 5 volts. The 16 bit ECU's had a hard limit of 300 g/s while the 32 bit are good up to about 400 g/s. I ran an 18G pushing 22psi up to redline and never came close to maxing out the MAF. This was with my old APS 65mm. I had to do a little reprogramming to overcome the 300 g/s limit so I could scale my MAF up to 5 volts. I think the 08+ WRX's/STI's respond much better to intakes due to flowing more air with the AVCS on both the intake and exhaust now. Still would retune though. Just my .02
tune for sure. i know then his g/s can then be turned up to max at 500 and his scaling will be 5.0v (its what mines at least) or whatever needs done.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I went from the Cobb stage 2 93 map with an Invidia tbe to the Cobb stage 2 AEM 93 map and I only noticed the increased sound which can make you think the car is faster and my car tripped the over boost code a few times even after switching to the LWG map so I just removed the AEM and didn't notice any power loss but do miss the sound.

I have even talked with Agile Auto (a very reputable tuner) and they advised me to stay with the stock box if I do not plan on upgrading the turbo.

·
Banned
664 Posts
I went from the Cobb stage 2 93 map with an Invidia tbe to the Cobb stage 2 AEM 93 map and I only noticed the increased sound which can make you think the car is faster and my car tripped the over boost code a few times even after switching to the LWG map so I just removed the AEM and didn't notice any power loss but do miss the sound.

I have even talked with Agile Auto (a very reputable tuner) and they advised me to stay with the stock box if I do not plan on upgrading the turbo.
OTS maps arnt as good as a pro tune. I've only heard problems with cobb and over boosting.

The intake comment is just silly!

·
Registered
902 Posts
OTS maps arnt as good as a pro tune. I've only heard problems with cobb and over boosting.

The intake comment is just silly!
Well, even Hill at Agile recommended the stock box with a bigger tmic, ebcs, and protune.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts