ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i took the car out to the track last week, got about 9 good passes out of it, and all of a sudden the clutch started slipping on the way home on the highway. the car has a mbc set at 16 and a intake (which are both coming off tomorrow). my question is should i take it to the dealer, where i bought it brand new back in march and try to use my "warranty". or would i be better off going with some kind of a stronger aftermarket unit. i would rather get a oem for the sake of the drivetrain, but then again i dont want to get it replaced after another 10k miles. if i do decide to get an aftermarket what is a good clutch that would be close to stock in longevity terms, but also hold up to a little more pounding, i really love running my car , it just seems like the drivetrain is overstressed from the start. i hope im not changing clutches every six months just to run the car how i think it should be ran. (btw, my best run was a [email protected], 1.95-60ft). if anyone has had this problem please chime in.
thanx.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Nope.. my car has gone 50K @ 20psi and now problem at all. Don't know if we have the same clutch as I have the EDM version, but it's strong as hell..

I guess it's possible to ruin a clutch, depends on how it's used.

i would look into the exedy stuff. They have a flywheel / clutch combo that looks nice. The clutch is only slightly stronger than OEM and should be good.

I'm getting one from gruppe-s (next year I think, need to findout if the clutch will hold or if I need a stronger...)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
well... you burned out your clutch disk.. it wont be covered under waranty as it's a wear item for 1 and for 2 if you wore it out that fast it's a sign of abuse reason 2 they wont cover it... The stock WRX clutch is very weak IMO... if you want that protection against your trans get a new disk swap it in, find someone you know that can do it if possible.. its a ton of work but they way over charge for it at dealerships... if you continue to drive the same way you will burn it out quickly again.. i'm guessing you need to burn it a lot less to get more mileage out of it... if you get an upgraded pressure plate it will probably get you more life because you'll slip it less.. but if you learn to slip it right and burn it often it will wear out quickly too.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
MustGoFast said:
well... you burned out your clutch disk.. it wont be covered under waranty as it's a wear item for 1 and for 2 if you wore it out that fast it's a sign of abuse reason 2 they wont cover it... The stock WRX clutch is very weak IMO...
I agree that the clutch is broken because of abuse, or lack of training/education on manual trannies.. (sorry)
Of cource he may have had a bad clutch but I do not belive it and neither will the dealer..

But I don't agree to the stock clutch being very weak.. I don't know if we have the same clutch since I'm riding a EDM version, but MY clutch feels pretty strong. With the mbc set to 20psi it can take/hold 5-6000rpm cluch slipping lunches.. On many other (normal) cars if you try this you will just burn clutch and go no where. (My friends done it on his porche boxter sevral times and I did it a new times on my modded A4 turbo..)

·
Registered
51 Posts
dont just blame the clutch. you might have to think about a warped flywheel. a warped flywheel will cause what it seems like clutch slippage (actually it feels exactly like it.)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I believe the EDM is stronger than the USDM I know your gearset is and I think the clutch is too.... stuff in the USDM car is soft.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Clutches, if not broken in properly, can glaze over and not work properly. If you drove the car hard during the break in period, then your clutch will be toast a lot sooner. The majority of it has to do with the way the car is driven however. I'm guessing you probably slipped the clutch a lot during every day driving to attempt to have less jerkiness in traffic.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
MustGoFast said:
I believe the EDM is stronger than the USDM I know your gearset is and I think the clutch is too....
Thats good to know:cool: Maybe I don't need the kaaz gears that fast then:tongue:
I have heard that many things are weaker on the USDM version because the pricetag had be cut to match some other cars.. :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
o.k., this might sound wierd but it feels like it might be getting better. is that possible?its able to grab and not slip except for gears 4 and 5, and thats only under full power. ive been really gentle to it for about 200 miles of stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
probably just glazed the surface of the clutch. Give it time it will get a little better but never be as good as it was.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm..... this kinda sucks, i've got the fastest-slow car on the road:( i guess its time for a clutch, how about that exedy organic stage 1 that comes with the flywheel, anybody runnin that setup?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would recommend the ACT clutches. They have been proven over and over in all of our race and project cars.

We also have them on sale right now at 10% off using coupon code ACT10D.

If you want the Exedy still, we have that at 20% off (EXEDY20D)

http://www.prostreetonline.com

Let me know, and I can help you decide which application would be best for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i would get another cheep-o facotyr clutch till you figure out why your burning through em every 10K miles.

probably due to.

1. hovering on your clutch at red lights (in gear, clutch at friction point while feathering the throttle waiting for green light with no brake)

2. clutch in while turning. (big no no regardless of clutch ware aspect ESPECIALY on the track)

3. other bad shifting clutch habits while on the track.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, i will admit that this was my first manual tranny car. the first two weeks that i was driving it werent very pretty to say the least. ive become MUCH better with it, so i would think that i wouldnt have to worry about clutch number two wearing so fast. i think that 90% of the wear were from the first 1000 miles not being treated properly, only 10% is from racing and other things(like driving with my foot resting on it, and slipping it at stoplights). like i said ive became very good with it, and now having to baby it has really made me a "pro". i dont know for real, im just rambling......i guess ill go buy a clutch. there is a place close to me that works on subarus and other imports, supposedly they have a 500 hp wrx or something like that, the guy there said he would install clutch for 300 bucks, does that sound about right?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
big pipe said:
300 bucks, does that sound about right?
Not at all...if you want to replace the stock clutch on a street car, believe me when I tell you that there is no more appropriate option than the exedy organic clutch with flywheel. This package drives the same as stock and offers about 30% more holding force than the stock unit, makes rev matching easier because of the lighter flywheel, and generally feels great for a mid 4000rpm launch or even a full WOT 6k launch. It should cost you about $450 for the package and anywhere from $500-600 for install, but should then last you another 50k miles at least. Trust me, if you are going to upgrade your drivetrain and make the car both useable and fun to drive, the Exedy product is about the best organic disk (doesn't use some crazy, super-grabby carbon or ceramic puck disk and is the same clutch material/style as the STi 5mt from japan...very nice product).

I use it in my stage 4 rex and love it, no problems whatsoever and I make close to 300ftlbs of torque.

~Tim

EDIT: Since you're in St. Louis, I'd recommend getting in touch with Axis Racing to do the install, very professional and very well regarded www.axispowerracing.net

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah that axis place is right by me. funny thing, ive never seen it or heard of them before. thats the guy that quoted me three hundred. so i guess im lookin at about 800 bucks

·
Registered
664 Posts
yep, get a cheap subaru stocker, or youll break the output shaft with a brisk launch...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anybody ordered the stock stuff from a dealer? if so how much would it be for everything i would need? would it be a bad idea to get the flywheel machined? im starting to think twice about the stiffer clutch:confused: i dont like the thought of needing the tranny rebuilt in a car thats not even a year old.........i think stocker it will be. too many people on this board making good power with it to make me hafta worry about tranny explosions

1 - 20 of 22 Posts