Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help. I just swapped my turbo in my 2011 Wrx. The old one had loose/noisy waste gate flap. Put another oem VF52 in it. The car is now down on power. When looking at my boost gauge it’ll quickly go up and peak at 14psi. With my older turbo I would build boost a little slower but it would max at 19psi and would pull throughout the rpm range. The only thing I changed was removed the oil feed line filter and got rid of the 2 rubber sleeves on throttle-intercooler boot. I double checked all my connections and reset the ecu

Looking for more suggestions!

·
Æternum
16,073 Posts
I just bought it bone stock the middle of last month. As far as I know it’s not tuned but it does have a spt boost gauge. I just put a invidia cat back on it a week before swapping the turbos
In that case, now the boost is correct. Before, it was incorrect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car feels like I’m driving a regular v4. It doesn’t build boost and pull nearly like it did before. Why would it drop 5psi after putting the same VF52 turbo in it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
B

Because you likely had a problem with the old wastegate.
Ok. I guess that makes sense. I would like to boost leak test it. I’ve read through quite a few forums but have been unable to figure out exactly which hoses I need to unplug or block off. Can someone provide pictures that’ll work for a 2011?

·
Æternum
16,073 Posts
What are you looking for here and why do you think the car has a problem?

It seems to me that it had an issue before that is now resolved.

·
Super Moderator
11,717 Posts
It no longer feels quick or makes any power. Feels like I’m driving a v4 car. Doesn’t feel like it’s turbocharged
You are meeting factory specifications. What you want isn't what is correct. It's a hard thing t o grasp. Keep in mind a Camry will roll on a wrx outside of from a dig where the awd gives the advantage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are meeting factory specifications. What you want isn't what is correct. It's a hard thing t o grasp. Keep in mind a Camry will roll on a wrx outside of from a dig where the awd gives the advantage.
So go stage 2 is what you’re telling me? I would still like to learn how to boost leak test it. Does anyone know which ports need to get plugged for my year?

·
Super Moderator
11,717 Posts
I don't have the FSM handy. You can googlefu one if you have the time I believe it had the info in there.

Stage 2 makes a marked improvement. You'll need to find someone who will tune a vehicle and disable the emissions codes now. That'll be a fun challenge as you'll get to enjoy 10k in fines and they enjoy 25k.

I think Cobb has a grey area catted pipe now however it will instantly fail all emissions testing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have the FSM handy. You can googlefu one if you have the time I believe it had the info in there.

Stage 2 makes a marked improvement. You'll need to find someone who will tune a vehicle and disable the emissions codes now. That'll be a fun challenge as you'll get to enjoy 10k in fines and they enjoy 25k.

I think Cobb has a grey area catted pipe now however it will instantly fail all emissions testing.
I picked up an accessport and put it on Stage 1 93 map. It told me a previous tune had been detected and will be lost forever. So I guess it was tuned previously. I data logged twice in 3rd gear around 2700rpm. Could someone take a look at my logs and see if they notice anything out of the ordinary? Max boost it made was only 15.3 psi

·
Super Moderator
11,717 Posts
I used Google docs in the past. It works really well.

I'm not super great at the specifics of them but there are certain things to log and logging too much will cause your datalog not to have high enough resolution.

Throttle positions, boost target error, boost and fuel trims are the ones for sure.

Load what you have and someoe much smarter than me will be around.

If you don't have anything installed that sounds like the right tune. Check the map notes and it should give you boost targets and such see if you are in line.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great. Thank you for your help. Let me know if you can open the link

1 - 20 of 30 Posts