ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatup guys! First post here! :)

I did a looking around on the forums, but I really don't see the following issue addressed. Any info would be very helpful!!

I have a 2011 WRX and am going to be purchasing winter tires this coming week. I am planning on getting 16inch tires and wheels, and will be skipping the TPMS monitors. (I can deal with the light on in my dash).

I know that my car will be fine with 16inch winter tires with steelies, but everywhere I call to ask about this tell me that it's also going to effect my speedometer??[/B]

Can anyone tell me how much my Speedometer is going to be effected with going down to a 16inch tire and wheel on my 2011 wrx.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First off welcome in!

It really depends on how tall overall the 16" tire is compared to you stock tire. Your stock 235/45-17 tire is approximately 25.3" tall. If you go with something like a 205/55-16 (I believe the stock tire size from an earlier WRX) the tire will be only 24.9" tall and will throw your speedo off by about 1.8%. If you can find a 215/55-16 that should get you very close to your original size.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be getting 215/55-16 size tires.

I am thinking about one of the following.

Michelin X-Ice Xi2
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Generally smaller than stock radius will cause you to travel slower than the indicated speeds by a factor proportional to the difference in tire sizes. The opposite is true for larger than stock tires. Keep in mind most winter tires are only rated to about 100 MPH.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts