ClubWRX Forum banner

What's the first performance based upgrade I should make?

• Turbo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling System

• Other, please message me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got into my first WRX. Also just moved to the Boise, ID area. Looking for people to talk Subaru with and bike or snowboard. So excited to finally be in my dream car, I worked hard for this. Lets go! club WRX.

·
11,965 Posts
It isn't that type of party.

Your list is broken as every option there requires a tune, further supporting mods, and an accessport assuming a newer car. With the exception of the waste that would be cooling modifications.

Turbo will likely require the intake, absolutely required a tune, fueling upgrades, exhaust modifications, and possibly an intercooler depending on what you go with. That also gets you into the area of needing a performance block in some cases.

Intake requires the vehicle to be tuned so you'll have no choice but to buy an ap for the newer cars.

Cooling is a waste unless you've got temp issues related to performance. The stock system is far more capable than necessary.

I'd avoid it all until you aquaint yourself with the Subaru platform.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It isn't that type of party.

Your list is broken as every option there requires a tune, further supporting mods, and an accessport assuming a newer car. With the exception of the waste that would be cooling modifications.

Turbo will likely require the intake, absolutely required a tune, fueling upgrades, exhaust modifications, and possibly an intercooler depending on what you go with. That also gets you into the area of needing a performance block in some cases.

Intake requires the vehicle to be tuned so you'll have no choice but to buy an ap for the newer cars.

Cooling is a waste unless you've got temp issues related to performance. The stock system is far more capable than necessary.

I'd avoid it all until you aquaint yourself with the Subaru platform.
Thanks for the input man. Like the post says, I'm brand spanking new to performance vehicles.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Can I ask what type of Subbie did you purchase?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
267 Posts
Just be prepared to shell out the cash for a new engine once you start with the power adders. I’m not saying it’s a guarantee but it’s more likely to happen with a Subaru than other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
267 Posts
I'm not really sure that's strictly true...
I’ve both heard about and read about more STOCK Subaru’s needing engine replacements than any other brand I’ve dealt with. Specifically when dealing with the WRX/STI. I’m not naive and I’m sure it comes down to the overall treatment of the vehicle, but it seems like you can get away with more neglect on other platforms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just be prepared to shell out the cash for a new engine once you start with the power adders. I’m not saying it’s a guarantee but it’s more likely to happen with a Subaru than other brands.

Im honestly content man.. this car is a beautiful thing and I'm not ready to tear it open yet at all.

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
The loudest people are the people that break their shit.

My experience is most of those that claimed their car was stock were lying. Not that it doesn't happen, but it's much less frequent then you are led to believe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There wasn't a Don't Do Anything option. While I did buy and use a Cobb AP on my 2015, I don't recommend any modifications / tuning. I say this with full conviction: If you want a faster car, buy a faster car. -- I know, broken record.
Thank you for this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts