Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
That's hilarious!! LMAO

Especially the guy with 10 ways to beat a WRX. At least they're more realistic about their cars stock abilities than the RSX guys.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hm, that's funny. Being one of the few RSX posters on this board, I think I've been nothing but realistic and objective about my car and its abilities. And really, on ClubRSX, you get a few BS post about the WRX and such, but most people put them in their place. In fact, 2 of our moderators are WRX owners...

I think you might see a bit more BS over there, but not moreso than you see anyplace. I have been a part of this community for awhile and enjoy it...

I'd like to throw this out though. If any of you have any questions about my car and its capabilities, positives and negatives, don't hesitate to ask me before generalizing about all RSX owners. I think I can give you a straightfoward, honest answer. Just wanted to throw that out.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the vortex tends to lock street racing thread and the rice-bashing threads...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Some of the posts there are just plain wrong (a chipped 1.8T is quicker than 16.1 in the 1/4), but for the most part they seem to know their place. I'm not aspiring to beating a WRX any time soon. Maybe once I start getting into more major mods... maybe. ;)

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know.....I could understand a chipped 1.8T automatic doing 16.1...but not the manual.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
tan said:
I know.....I could understand a chipped 1.8T automatic doing 16.1...but not the manual.
I thought that was off too, but wasn't completely sure. I really got a kick out of the top 10 list!

·
Registered
100 Posts
believe it or not a brand new motor (1.8T not sure about engine code...awp? or awd? im not sure which one) with a chip is a formidable force against the wrx especially from a roll.
a wrx does not seem to get the same kind of gains out of a unichip

basically the VW are very easy tog et about 300 hp from but after that its a major pain.

and they are still FWD, a lesson some of us (like myself) learn the hard way with other FWD pocket rockets.

the feeling of downshifting and getting nothing but wheelspin cannot even begin to be described by the word frustration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Milin said:

and they are still FWD, a lesson some of us (like myself) learn the hard way with other FWD pocket rockets.

the feeling of downshifting and getting nothing but wheelspin cannot even begin to be described by the word frustration.
can you explain this a bit? what sort of situation would you encounter this with? ... sorry if i'm being dense ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
my celica and my friends turbo LSVTEC integra....couldnt get any tractiona nd we both refused to run drag radials on the street.
:(

AWD was the only choice after that experience.

who cares what kind of power you make if you cant get it to the ground all the time...you know?

i still love the GTi tho....quick little cars and they look GOOD

·
Registered
51 Posts
As far as the 1.8t engine codes in the G/J.

IIRC

AWD - 150hp stock made until 2001.5. Turbo is a KKK K03. If the car has side curtain airbags then it has an AWW/AWP. These cars can easily be swapped to the K04 turbo (arond 240hp.240tq)

AWW - Mid year engine change. The Wolfsburg Jetta have them and so do the GTI's made in the latter part of 2001. This engine has a hybrid K03/K04 turbo. It also has some sort of variable valve timing or something like that. ( I never got the real scoop) For various reasons this engine isn't easily upgraded to the K04. The turbo upgrade normally done is the APR Stage III www.goapr.com

AWP - IIRC it is the exact same engine as the AWW but has different ECU programming to give it 180hp stock. I think it might have a different size inlet pipe (similar to our up pipe).

BTW www.20vturbo.com is a great resource on 1.8ts. It is a smaller site that started after frustrations about vwvortex being too controlling. It is to vwvortex what clubwrx is to i-club. But buyer beware if surfing at work....language can get heated over there.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if I remember right it's a 2 stage variable valve timing mechanism similar in operation to Toyota's VVT (found in the 4A-GE 20 Valve).

Sport Compact car did a $20,000 comparison test...naturally the GTI 1.8T didn't fare too well, due to its more boulevard ride. But when they strapped it to the dynojet, they got 171 bhp at the wheels, when the rated crank power is 180.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Milin said:
believe it or not a brand new motor (1.8T not sure about engine code...awp? or awd? im not sure which one) with a chip is a formidable force against the wrx especially from a roll.
a wrx does not seem to get the same kind of gains out of a unichip

basically the VW are very easy tog et about 300 hp from but after that its a major pain.

True on all counts. :)

The reason the 1.8T sees such huge gains from just a chip is because the boost is computer controlled. Running just a chip, they're making ~215 HP, ~250 TQ.

The only way they'd have a chance vs. a WRX is from a roll, though. Even then it's questionable, I'd suggest.

·
Registered
100 Posts
WRXless said:

True on all counts. :)

The reason the 1.8T sees such huge gains from just a chip is because the boost is computer controlled. Running just a chip, they're making ~215 HP, ~250 TQ.

The only way they'd have a chance vs. a WRX is from a roll, though. Even then it's questionable, I'd suggest.
i dont doubt their power from a roll.

my friends 12 second wrx was pulled on by one of APR's boys a couple months ago..rumor was they were running the rice gas tho.

·
Registered
100 Posts
"rice" gas is what the domestic guys like to call high octane race gas. its just a way of poking fun at turbo cars when the n/a car gets beaten.

:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts