Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the STi (and Evo too) gets pretty impressive 1/4-mi ET (low 13sec range), but with relatively slow trap speeds from 99 to 104mph. What do these measures translate to in real world driving situations such as launching from a stand-still or from a roll-on?

Cars with big V8s that gets a ET of low 13sec tend to trap at around 107mph or better. How will the STi compare to those cars in a race?

Thanks,
Baron

·
Registered
648 Posts
A race from what speed to what speed and under what conditions? Rolling or stop? Straight-line or curves? Wet or dry? ;) I've fared well in all so far.

RN

·
Registered
213 Posts
renichms said:
A race from what speed to what speed and under what conditions? Rolling or stop? Straight-line or curves? Wet or dry? ;) I've fared well in all so far.

RN
an e.t. is the measure of time a car takes to run the 1/4 mile on dry straight tarmac from a stop.

·
Registered
648 Posts
ihaveadent said:
an e.t. is the measure of time a car takes to run the 1/4 mile on dry straight tarmac from a stop.
I know what that is and that has nothing to do with the street or my questions.

RN

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
baron said:
I noticed that the STi (and Evo too) gets pretty impressive 1/4-mi ET (low 13sec range), but with relatively slow trap speeds from 99 to 104mph. What do these measures translate to in real world driving situations such as launching from a stand-still or from a roll-on?

Cars with big V8s that gets a ET of low 13sec tend to trap at around 107mph or better. How will the STi compare to those cars in a race?

Thanks,
Baron
I read an article once that showed that the best indicator of how powerful a car is, is the trap speed through the quarter mile. What the numbers you're seeing are showing you is that the big V8's usually have traction issues which causes them to run higher times, but because of the power they have they are able to get more speed by the end of the track.

To clarify that more, if you have 2 cars that clear the quarter in identical et's but one traps higher, they would obviously cross the line at the same time. Now if the race continued, the car with the higher trap would pull in front of the other car.

Car's with higher traps tend to be faster from a roll, while cars with lower traps tend to be faster from a stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: 1/4-mi trap speed -vs- ET

MidKnight said:
I read an article once that showed that the best indicator of how powerful a car is, is the trap speed through the quarter mile. What the numbers you're seeing are showing you is that the big V8's usually have traction issues which causes them to run higher times, but because of the power they have they are able to get more speed by the end of the track.

To clarify that more, if you have 2 cars that clear the quarter in identical et's but one traps higher, they would obviously cross the line at the same time. Now if the race continued, the car with the higher trap would pull in front of the other car.

Car's with higher traps tend to be faster from a roll, while cars with lower traps tend to be faster from a stop.
Thanks a lot, that's the answer I was looking at.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, I traded in a lightly modded '01 Camaro SS that would trap 107 - 108mph (13.2 w/ 2.3 60').

I haven't taken the STi to the track yet but let me just say that, without a doubt, from a standing start the STi would smoke the SS up to the first 1/8 mile (note my 60' time with the SS), then the SS would real it in. Top end would be all Camaro, no doubt.

From a roll would be all Camaro. The slower the roll, the better the STi would do but the end result would be the same.

·
Registered
648 Posts
copracer288 said:
Well, I traded in a lightly modded '01 Camaro SS that would trap 107 - 108mph (13.2 w/ 2.3 60').

I haven't taken the STi to the track yet but let me just say that, without a doubt, from a standing start the STi would smoke the SS up to the first 1/8 mile (note my 60' time with the SS), then the SS would real it in. Top end would be all Camaro, no doubt.

From a roll would be all Camaro. The slower the roll, the better the STi would do but the end result would be the same.
I've raced C5's from really low speed rolls 4 times now and up to about 70 mph, I raped them, then they started to noticably gain, and fast...so basically, just reenforcing what you've said. ;) Haven't raced anything since getting the downpipe in though...

RN

1 - 8 of 8 Posts