ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first WRX. I dont know a lot about tuning, or aftermarket parts. I got the car and it has the SPT catback exhuast on it. I was wondering if there would be any benefit to getting a cold air intake or a short ram intake on the car? They said increased hp and torque, but would it really make a different if I didnt remap the ecu? I read that just doing those two mods can actually be less effective than one of them alone? Any thoughts??

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wait

I would wait and spend the money on a good after market DP and a Cobb AP. That would be the best bang for the buck. A different intake at this point won't make much of a difference. Just my opinion and hope this helps.:thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is that true? I'm picking up my 09 tomorrow and read an article that the K&N gave a good boost in hp and torque. I think it was a road and track issue. I think that's the way I'm guna go. How do tou like the exhaust? Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
HP and TQ

Yes it will give you a little HP and TQ gain but you will not even notice it. The stock intake systems on the WRX and STi's are a very good design. Your biggest gain will be when you put an aftermarket down pipe and a Access Port from Cobb. More expensive but well worth it. I have a 08 STi with a Invidia DP, Cobb AP with a different map, and you talk about a difference!!!! But to each his own, it is your car, do what you want. There are many Subaru forums out there and they are all helpful. Go to NASIOC and do a search for Unibombers minifesto for modding your car. Very good stuff. Hope this helps and congrats on joining the Subaru family!!!!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes it will give you a little HP and TQ gain but you will not even notice it. The stock intake systems on the WRX and STi's are a very good design. Your biggest gain will be when you put an aftermarket down pipe and a Access Port from Cobb. More expensive but well worth it. I have a 08 STi with a Invidia DP, Cobb AP with a different map, and you talk about a difference!!!! But to each his own, it is your car, do what you want. There are many Subaru forums out there and they are all helpful. Go to NASIOC and do a search for Unibombers minifesto for modding your car. Very good stuff. Hope this helps and congrats on joining the Subaru family!!!!:)
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind. And yes, It looks like it will be a fun daily driver!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with DMC it's not really worth the 10 HP or TQ that you might get from a SRI or CAI. The sounds is really all you're paying for at this point. Plus, if you end up getting an AP there aren't any maps that can account for an after market intake. So you'd have to get it professionally tuned or get a custom map. That's just my .02.

Personally I think I'm going straight to Stage 2 and getting a better suspension and then I'll be done for a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cold Air intake

Hey,

I recently installed a K and N typhoon cold air intake on my 09 wrx sedan. I can tell you that I noticed a huge difference in my car's performance. While the increase in acceleration and HP is minimal it is still very noticeable. But what really makes me love this mod is the sound that it produces. SwoooOOOOOSh with a PsssHH of release similar to that of a blow off valve on shift. Sounds Great, highly recommend this mod as it will grant you just as much HP boost as an Exhaust for about 1/10th the cost.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Hey,

I recently installed a K and N typhoon cold air intake on my 09 wrx sedan. I can tell you that I noticed a huge difference in my car's performance. While the increase in acceleration and HP is minimal it is still very noticeable. But what really makes me love this mod is the sound that it produces. SwoooOOOOOSh with a PsssHH of release similar to that of a blow off valve on shift. Sounds Great, highly recommend this mod as it will grant you just as much HP boost as an Exhaust for about 1/10th the cost.

The car might feel faster to you, but did you actually dyno it to see if there were any actual gains? If you want the swoosh sound just do a silencer delete. Free, and you don't have to worry about messing up your AFRs. Intakes have been proven time and time again as a waste of money power wise and a potential cause of tuning problems.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The car might feel faster to you, but did you actually dyno it to see if there were any actual gains? If you want the swoosh sound just do a silencer delete. Free, and you don't have to worry about messing up your AFRs. Intakes have been proven time and time again as a waste of money power wise and a potential cause of tuning problems.
DNE for 08+ WRXs

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
Hey,

100% placebo. You think it makes a difference and your car is now slightly louder so you think it's faster. In reality any power gains are minuscule and most certainly not enough to make a noticeable different that your butt dyno can feel.

Is that true? I'm picking up my 09 tomorrow and read an article that the K&N gave a good boost in hp and torque. I think it was a road and track issue. I think that's the way I'm guna go. How do tou like the exhaust? Thanks
I've got a bridge to sell you... ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wrong about it

Keep in mind that the person asking this question probably has their drive train warranty in mind. So this would limit their choice of exhaust to the SPT right? Unless they wanted to do a switch every time they go into the dealership. Granted other types of catback exhausts might provide more hp, SPTs only give +10, K and N claims to give an additional 17 Hp with their intake. And yeah you guys are right that I could have no real idea how much power I am getting until I test the car. But for two products that provide minimal horse power boost, but each with its own distinct sound, I might go with the intake, more cost efficient. Don't get me wrong, I am envious of every low rumbling Scubby out there with exhaust, I just don't know that it is necessarily a better choice in Mod for power gain.

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
You really don't need an intake at your mod level. You're not going to gain anything as your stock one really isn't a restriction yet.

No catback exhaust on the market will affect your drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
406 Posts
K&N claims 17 HP with their intake huh? Well, unfortunately for them I happen to actually know something about WRXs. So, I'll believe that claim when I see back to back dyno tests on the same dyno, both corrected to standard atmospheric conditions, certified proof that no computer tuning was done after the intake was installed, and an full data log for the car after the intake install to make sure that nothing is wrong that will damage the car in the long term.

Intakes are a waste of money, potentially damaging to the car, and add no power for 97% of the WRXs out there.

If you run the Cobb AP you cna run their intake, per their instructions, but no one else's. Other intakes would require a custom map to be made, preferably on a dyno. Is it really worth a $450 dyno trip?

·
Banned
664 Posts
a pro tune is going to be your best bang! an intake will only help that much more when you get tuned. spending $600 on a COBB AP isnt going to get you anywhere near the power a pro tune will. a pro tune should run $350-$400 which as you see is cheaper than just a OTS map. before id tune though id deffently do a DP and a intake. most dynos will show you very very close to 300HP and over 300TQ with this set up.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Intake at that level is a waste. You pick up power from the tune, not the intake. A good panel filter in the stock airbox will flow just as well at that level. You only need an intake when you start to approach 400HP.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Intake at that level is a waste. You pick up power from the tune, not the intake. A good panel filter in the stock airbox will flow just as well at that level. You only need an intake when you start to approach 400HP.
for are 09's no there not

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
for are 09's no there not
sooooo what you're trying to tell us is that pulling warm air from the engine bay is making you more power than the factory intake which draws COOL air from outside the engine bay .. ??

please tell me also that you didn't pay over $300 for a tube and a cone filter.. cuz thats all a cold air intake really is. A tube, and a filter. I'm still wondering where exactly they pull the "cold" air from if the filter isn't mounted outside the engine bay.

I've been messing with turbo cars for the last 7 years and cars in general for a long time before that. Made over 100hp/cyl with the last project. The biggest points I've ever learned about cars is that cool air makes more power..
and you listen to the guys that have been doing it longer than you have.

I can see why you'd want to defend a purchase, but coming out here and telling a vets like Donkey, TKO and brfatal that what they're telling you is not true? without dyno provided back to back proof? :rolleyes:

ya gots some learnin to do my friend. :screwy:

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I'm still wondering where exactly they pull the "cold" air from if the filter isn't mounted outside the engine bay.

I believe some of the actual CAIs are routed into the fender well outside the engine bay. Although they do have an issue with sucking water if you drive through a large puddle, which isn't good at all.

But the stock intake pulls cold air from the front, so yea, it works pretty good.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts