ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been noticing that it has been harder to downshift into first gear recently (rolling and stopped). The car has the factory installed spt short shifter. It is getting colder out now (live in WI) and this is my first winter driving the car. Is this something normal? I can push it into first but its not very smooth (sometimes I have to push pretty hard, at least uncomfortably hard for me). All other gears up and down are fine. I dont really drive the car too aggressively and it only has like 12K miles.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Mitch

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Safety feature. You'll usually need to be at a complete stop or going pretty slow for it to go in smoothly

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it still happens sometimes when completely stopped though, that's my major concern.

Thanks for the quick replies!

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Actually, not necessarily. Subaru put a double syncro on that first gear starting in 06 to AID downshifting into 1st, not make it harder. To see what I mean go drive a bugeye or blobeye. They're impossible to get into first without a complete stop. However, I wouldn't say you necessarily have a problem there. Your transmission fluid has a lot to do with how easily the gears slide in and out of place and how the syncros do their jobs. If you have a heavier fluid that isn't so... well, fluid in the winter, it will always be a bit more difficult when it's cold out. My transmission allows a first gear downshift at 20mph, but it's more difficult during the winter, so it just takes more time, or you going slower before it will allow the gears to line up.

Just keep up to date on your fluid changes, and you should be just fine. And as stated above, don't force it in, let the syncro do its job.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
its normal. Changing the tranny fluid with a quality fluid can help but you still don't want to force it. Having to double clutch is normal even at a stop sometimes. Once i changed to Motul gear 300 75w90 the problem went away and I can shift into 1st at 20mph (though I never do, there is no need)

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
To see what I mean go drive a bugeye or blobeye. They're impossible to get into first without a complete stop.
Thats not really true. My car goes into 1st no problem at speeds up to 20mph (don't worry i never do that). Its amazing what some bushings and quality fluid can do

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Thats not really true. My car goes into 1st no problem at speeds up to 20mph (don't worry i never do that). Its amazing what some bushings and quality fluid can do
Maybe that's the difference then. Although the 02 that I had and the 03 that my friend had were exactly the same in that regard: unless you were stopped, you weren't going into first without some major grinding, and both of us made sure we had the best fluid we could put in there. Maybe those bushings did just enough to help aid that, though mechanically they're still behind in the game.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts