ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out the stock turbo, exhaust and air intake. I replaced the turbo with a AMR CXR550 for the 2.5L engine. I put on the Agency Power Cat-Back Exhaust and AP Cold Air-Intake. The installation took all of 4 hours.. Removing it however took us about 6 hours. I also installed a Cobb Tuning Access Port. I tried to start it up and after a second it goes off.. For that split second it sounded amazing... I tried un-installing the programmer just to see if that would do anything but as of 10pm last night alaskan time it is still not running.

I am supposed to get on the ferry in a week and drive from Kodiak, AK to Point Pleasant, NJ!!

Please help me! My name is Mike.

KCCO

·
Æternum
20,590 Posts
Actually. Something similar happened to me the first time I flashed Stage 2. Try resetting the ECU by pulling the battery leads and stepping on the brake pedal for 20 seconds. Then, reconnect the leads, and attempt to start the car.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Cobb's tune won't work with the aftermarket turbo.

You need many more supporting mods to run a different turbo.

To get it to run properly, you either have to:
A) put the stock turbo back on
B) spend more money on supporting mods and a pro-tune

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You're going to blow your motor using that turbo without a protune.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Cobb's maps aren't deigned to work with aftermarket turbos.

You'd need to find a local tuner and have it pro tuned. You'll also need more parts to successfully fun that turbo swap.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
As mentioned in your other thread, which is for the same issue: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/new-member-hangout/134356938-my-08-wrx-wont-start-please-help.html

You're going to need more supporting mods to work with the aftermarket turbo. Even if you reset the ecu or figure out where there may be a vacuum leak from the install, and somehow it starts running, it is not going to be running correctly. Anthony and Maus are correct, you're better off putting the stock turbo back on until you learn what else you need to do and get yourself set up to do it.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Idk about Alaska, but you should try to talk to a tuner that's local, if there are any, and discuss with them what you'd like to do, and they'll help you take the right path there.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
You don't have a down pipe? That turbo is doing you no good if that is the case. And normally people make their cars MORE reliable before going on long trips, not the opposite.

·
Æternum
20,590 Posts
These guys are right, man. That turbo flows 52 lbs/min (nearly DOUBLE the flow of the TD04-19T). Without fueling modifications -- injectors and fuel pump -- you will undoubtedly run lean. Furthermore, without the tune, you will likely blow your motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well there is no Kodiak Subaru guys on the island. If I can at least get it to run I'll be ok because there are some people in Anchorage which is where ill be getting off the ferry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a downpipe.. Is the car still good if i just put the stock turbo back in? Keep the new programmer and air intake and exhaust on?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Yea, you'll be ok if you put the stock turbo back on for now, until you get get access to the other aftermarket parts you'll need and a local tuner.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
In before the piston melts.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
No problem, hope everything works out for you.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
I have a downpipe.. Is the car still good if i just put the stock turbo back in? Keep the new programmer and air intake and exhaust on?
I would revert completely back to stock. The cat-back isn't going to have any sort of impact on performance other than noise. Don't even leave the intake on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't have to revert back to stock.. I disconnected the air intake sensor and she started right up.. Ordered a fuel pump and injectors and will be getting it pro tuned by P3 import auto werks in wasilla.. Thanks everyone

1 - 20 of 27 Posts