ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice. I apologize if this has been addressed before. I have an 08 WRX. engine spun a rod. I don’t really want to spend 5k plus to get a used engine or even doing a rebuild. I have seen many websites talking about the JDM import engine EJ20Y being a direct replacement for my EJ255. Is this true? Has anyone else gone this route? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Æternum
19,736 Posts
No, it is not true.

That's a lot of effort for not a lot of gain. Not to mention the car will not be road legal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car would need to be tuned with whatever engine I get installed so I’m not worried about it being road legal. The gain would be about $3k savings. And about 50hp from what I have researched. Still not worth it?

·
Æternum
19,736 Posts
The car would need to be tuned with whatever engine I get installed so I’m not worried about it being road legal. The gain would be about $3k savings. And about 50hp from what I have researched. Still not worth it?
I am quite certain that elements of the EJ20X/Y cannot be controlled with your ECU and loom combination.

For example, the USDM EJ255 has a hydraulic cam phaser on the intake valves only, whereas the EJ20Y has hydraulic cam phasers on the intake and exhaust valves. Controlling or neglecting the exhaust cam phasers is a completely separate ordeal.

One thing is for certain -- you're not going to be able to simply "drop in" an EJ20Y

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
You won't get 50hp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts