ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if you guys in here can help me decide on what car i should get.

either leasing a 08 WRX or buying a 07 Mazda Speed 6

speed wise the mazda has 270 hp compared to 225 i believe for the WRX. ( i am not comparing it to the STI because thats in a different price range)

I would be buying the speed and putting money down to get the monthly payments down to what a stripped WRX leasing would be with no money down.

I do about 80 miles a day for work, so if i was to lease i would have to drive other vehicles or take the bus so i don't go over the miles, as to buying the mazda i don't have to worry about miles except for when the warrenty runs out.

My questions mainly are:

What do you guys think of the Mazda speed 6? ( not looking at the speed 3 because i need AWD)

If the WRX is the way to go what options do you think i should try to get?

What mileage do you guys think i would get on the WRX ( driving some in traffic and also around 80mph almost all driving on highway)

Thanks for your guy's help, i greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think you have answered the question for yourself. I would take the vehicle you can pay off faster. Both are awd so both will suit your needs but the 6 has more hp. As much as I hate to say this I think the 6 is the best car for you. :) I was looking at the Mazdaspeed 3 for a while but I don't like fwd .

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
my mom had the speed6. it was an okay car.. definitely felt powerful while driving however I HATED THE CLUTCH. oh my lord was it annoying. very very springy and not very manageable whatsover. also, by the time we went to trade it back in the turbo was starting to go. i dont know if its because me, my mom, AND my dad always drove the car really hard or.. if mazda turbos just.. suck in general.

all in all, its personal preference. get whats in your price range and what you REALLY want.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Get the car you can afford without leasing.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Taking the bus sucks, on that note i would go with the Speed 6. As for mileage, going 80 on the highway you gas mileage goes down pretty significantly in the WRX as apposed to going say 70. I actually get my best tanks of gas on country roads staying off the highway almost all together. Why do you need AWD?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Get the car you can afford without leasing.
+1 for that, paying crazy amounts of money for a car sucks, i know. Having no credit sucks:sadwave:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I currently have a FWD car, a 97 jetta vr6. But living in Colorado i need a AWD car especially in the winter.

and i am sure as you have noticed i am mainly fighting myself with which one i should get.

in my mind the pro's and con's for both cars are:

WRX
Pro's:
extrememly reliable
no money down, and same price a month to lease
parts are very easy to come by
extremely large aftermarket options

Con's
Sadly they are a dime a dozen ( not as unique as a speed 6)
to expensive to buy comparied to the speed 6
mileage limit on the lease

Speed 6:
Pro's:
more HP and TQ
can buy the car, so don't have to worry about the mileage except for the warrentee
Has more basic features on it than the WRX does as a stripped version.

Con's:
Have read that they are not as reliable as a WRX, turbo's failing, diff whine, axles breaking, even engines blowing at times
Not as much aftermarket support
also have to fly out to pick the car up
have to put about 4 or 5K down to get the payments down to what i can manage.

So yeah just wrestling like mad, my main thing is that the speed 6 i just love looks wise and everything but don't like having to worry about it breaking, the WRX i like because how reliable it is and also could upgrade it to get up to the Speed 6 hp and everything, but i would only be leasing it and i am not bashing the WRX but they are a dime a dozen.

for buying the Speed 6 i would be paying it off for about 6 years i believe

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yea, I've never seen a reliable mazda. But I figured that they build quality on the mazda cars where better but after reading these few post especially about the crappy clutch's and turbo failure. Try to find a car that you can afford and enjoy your needs. Maybe the wrx nor the speed 6 is right for you. I'm pretty sure that there is awd car right for you somewhere. *trying to think of other awd cars* lol.

·
5,780 Posts
Buy a used 06 WRX that way you get the reliability of subaru and dont have to lease it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Buy a used 06 WRX that way you get the reliability of subaru and dont have to lease it.
+ a bunch, go used

If you are looking into payments for 6 years that you will barely be able to manage, you are looking to spend way to much on a car. Nothing sucks worse then being car poor, cut your budget in 1/2 get a 2.5 rs

·
Registered
103 Posts
Legacy GT

I have driven a speed 6 and I thought it was very nice. I am not sure what versions they have (or what is included in the stripped down version), but the one I test drove had leather, navi, manual, keyless start, etc. And the dealer was selling it for ~$25,000 (it was an '06 when '07's had started hitting the lots).

If I was looking at the speed 6, I would definitely consider a legacy GT. Not sure how they compare on price (would probably look for a 2006), but that should be a nice option as well.

-CZ

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well to give you guys a little bit more idea of the price, around $280-300 with 4-5K down for the speed 6 a month

$270-300 for a lease for 18,000 miles a year for a 4 year lease for the WRX. The no money down is really appealing, so in a way its cheaper. but might not be cheaper gas wise as the Speed 6

honestly i don't really have to get a new car right now, i could go until the end of the summer before i really try to get a AWD car since the winter is almost over here. Just asking now because of the deals that are going on right now, and also Speed 6's are getting really hard to find as well as new, this one i am looking at only has 50 miles on it, wanting $22K for it, and sticker its like $25 or more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh and flat tire the Speed 6 that you drove in was the Grand touring edition.

the one i am looking at is the sport version, no leather or nav.

·
5,780 Posts
When you lease a car you only pay interest down on the loan and at the end of the term there is a ballon payment, also you do not own a leased car until the balloon payment has been made

leasing is never a good idea IMO

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the ballon payment is if you wanted to buy the car after the lease is up, and i have calulated it that it would be the same price if you bought the car compared to leasing it than buying the car. Leasing does mean that you don't actually have the car, so that means you don't actually have that asset, but you also don't have the full expense of it. And you don't have to buy the car after the lease is up.

I am sure there are ton's of posts argueing leasing VS buying a car.

I understand what your saying Sonicwagon, that i'll be putting all this money on this car but i won't actually be owning the car. Which has its pro's and con's.

Oh and as for the Speed 6, if it was to break down on me alot i could always try to Lemon law it before the warrentee was up on it.

·
5,780 Posts
Oh and as for the Speed 6, if it was to break down on me alot i could always try to Lemon law it before the warrentee was up on it.

the payments you make on a loan go part to principle and part to interest on a lease its mostly interest, Do whatever you want, leasing is not good for consumers it is good for lending agencies

when all is said and done on a lease you pay more than a loan or you own nothing neither are good financially.

As for lemon laws they only apply to new cars within the first year of ownership. So no. If it breaks you can have it fixed under warranty if there still is a warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so if i was to do lemon law on it i would have to do it within the first year of owning it from the dealership.

Thanks alot for the info and advice Sonicwagon

·
5,780 Posts
ok so if i was to do lemon law on it i would have to do it within the first year of owning it from the dealership.

Thanks alot for the info and advice Sonicwagon
it would have to be a new car, you cant get a lemon law on a used car.

No problem man, Cars are horrible investments i just like to see people make sound financial decisions with their vehicle purchases.

·
Registered
374 Posts
For the amount you are willing to spend you can get a nice used Sti, an 07 WRX and still have money to mod it, or a Legacy GT. Driving 80miles per day you would want something that is reliable and not worry about breaking down half way to work. True there is a lot of Subies in Colorado, but you can always differentiate yourself. Check out insurance rate while you are at it, I know the Subies are kinda high.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
either leasing a 08 WRX or buying a 07 Mazda Speed 6

I do about 80 miles a day for work
I stopped reading after this, and haven't read any of the other posts.

There is no way you can lease a car and drive it 80 miles a day. I drive 80 miles a day for work, and I put close to 30000 miles on my car each year.

In a lease they expect you to drive less than 12500 miles a year, every mile over is a huge charge.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts