ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running cobb ap stage 1 for a couple of days now. last night my buddy was driving the car and the car kind of hiccuped and threw the check engine light, traction control light, and cruise blinker. The car ran fine afterwards, no pinging or knocking. My ap said the code was wastegate seloniod, something or other, and i reset it. I searched the threads about boost creep and overboost, and it sounds alot like those problems, but i am still running stock exhaust and everything. Same probem from 06-07 stage 2? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Contact Cobb and explain the situation. It wouldnt be the first time they have issued a "patch" for a map.

Cobb creates maps that should in theory work for several different cars in several different areas of the country. Sometimes you get an odd ball car that just doesnt like their map.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Contact Cobb and explain the situation. It wouldnt be the first time they have issued a "patch" for a map.

Cobb creates maps that should in theory work for several different cars in several different areas of the country. Sometimes you get an odd ball car that just doesnt like their map.
Considering how fast they put it on the market I would highly doubt they put much into it. The variety of elevation changes and temperature changes are almost impossible to tune for intel the car is there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wonder if the guys running the Perrin Stage 1 maps have the same issues.
I have an '08 WRX hatch MT with Perrin Stage 1. No problems so far. I live in NYC so I could say Im not from a high-altitude environment. I've driven the car with that map rain or shine, city and highway as well (including in NY traffic)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with my 08. I was running a TBE and cold air intake with the Stage 2 map on the AP. It would do it at around 5k RPM when I had it on the floor. I finally got a protune and it solved it. Luckily it did it on the dyno and they were able to see that the boost was hitting around 18.5psi and that was tripping the ECU into the error (I guess Subaru set it at around 18psi). The tuner changed the ECU to not flip until 20psi and I have not had a problem since. I was happy that fixed it instead of getting the wastegate ported. I don't know what you are running on your car, but I was told that the TBE changed the backpressure and that allowed the turbo to build more boost resulting in the error.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same problem with my 08. I was running a TBE and cold air intake with the Stage 2 map on the AP. It would do it at around 5k RPM when I had it on the floor. I finally got a protune and it solved it. Luckily it did it on the dyno and they were able to see that the boost was hitting around 18.5psi and that was tripping the ECU into the error (I guess Subaru set it at around 18psi). The tuner changed the ECU to not flip until 20psi and I have not had a problem since. I was happy that fixed it instead of getting the wastegate ported. I don't know what you are running on your car, but I was told that the TBE changed the backpressure and that allowed the turbo to build more boost resulting in the error.
its good that you had it tuned since Cobb said "stock intake" on the map notes.

I have to research it again. I swear I saw it here. someone said the BOV for the '08 is set at 16psi???

·
Banned
0 Posts
Subaru didn't set it, Cobb did, and that is way more boost than there maps are targeted for. Target boost is your friend:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
2008 Code

Scooter,
I have an 08 with a cobb AP, up and down pipe. I have had two codes under the exact same conditions - slight up hill, 4th gear going between 3,000 and 4,000. If those are your conditions then I got the answer yesterday with my tuner. It is in the AP. It limits boost to (don't quote me on the numbers but you'll see the problem immediately) in that range to 16.2 lbs but the whole program has a limit of 15.7. So according to engine management you're spiking . Like I said it happened twice before we (actually the tuner) could figure it out.He changed my map so it should happen again. He was going to call Cobb today about it.Hope that is helpful. JacksonWRX

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whoa ok, that makes alot of sense. good info guys thanks for the help. i am running stock except for stage 1 AP. maybe they will release a patch or something, although i havent had the problem since. i emailed cobb but they never replied. i am going stage 2 pretty soon, so we will see how it goes after that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts