ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've moved from Miami to New Orleans and the pot holes and broken streets here could be considered craters. Also when it rains hard here some areas fill up with several inches of water. Instead of trading my 08 Sti for a Jeep I'm looking into lifting it a little bit and putting a taller tire. Although I am a "Driver" I'm not a racer..

I want to achieve a somewhat more comfortable ride, especially over bumps, and better ground clearance.

My car stock 08 Sti with BBS18"
My questions:
1. how much taller tire can I fit with just a Spacer lift (1" or 1.25") and will this (spacers/Tires) really improve my feel over bumps?
2. Would going from my 18"BBS to 17" wheels do much to improve the feel over rough stuff?
3. If I go with King Springs will the ride feel more stiff? And what size tires can I fit with them?
4. I see aftermarket Forester Shock/Struts on eBay will they fit my STI and how much clearance/Tire will this give me?

I want a little lift but don't need a lot, more interested in ride comfort over rough stuff and fitting a little more meat under the wells

Also,
Any suggestions on wheels and tires??

Thanks for any help and advice

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'm not sure why you want the lift and bigger wheels and tires honestly. I take my STI with the stock BBS wheels onto fire roads and other rough stuff and it does just fine. You can't hit potholes dead on or any sort of obstruction like that without expecting something to possibly get damaged. The lift isn't going to help with that. Taller sidewalls might help a little, but we're not talking about that big a difference because you'll still have rubbing issues when you turn if you go up much.

Given your post and what you're looking for, ,I'd look at 17" wheels. However, the problem is you're going to drop a lot of money on this and possibly not make much difference. What's your budget?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'm not sure why you want the lift and bigger wheels and tires honestly. I take my STI with the stock BBS wheels onto fire roads and other rough stuff and it does just fine. You can't hit potholes dead on or any sort of obstruction like that without expecting something to possibly get damaged. The lift isn't going to help with that. Taller sidewalls might help a little, but we're not talking about that big a difference because you'll still have rubbing issues when you turn if you go up much.

Given your post and what you're looking for, ,I'd look at 17" wheels. However, the problem is you're going to drop a lot of money on this and possibly not make much difference. What's your budget?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Like I said, I'm looking for a little more ground clearance.. And a bit more soft/comfortable ride. Potholes here can make your bumper scrape and light flooding is an issue.. So there is no way to make the Sti more comfortable over rough stuff? Gotta be

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've moved from Miami to New Orleans and the pot holes and broken streets here could be considered craters. Also when it rains hard here some areas fill up with several inches of water. Instead of trading my 08 Sti for a Jeep I'm looking into lifting it a little bit and putting a taller tire. Although I am a "Driver" I'm not a racer..

I want to achieve a somewhat more comfortable ride, especially over bumps, and better ground clearance.

My car stock 08 Sti with BBS18"
My questions:
1. how much taller tire can I fit with just a Spacer lift (1" or 1.25") and will this (spacers/Tires) really improve my feel over bumps?
The spacer won't really allow a much taller tire than stock, you will still have to deal with the spring perch as your height limit, assuming the front suspension is similar between WRX & STi. Spacers will do nothing but raise your vehicle, they won't adjust the feel. Bigger tires will adjust the feel a bit, depending on how much pressure you keep in them.
2. Would going from my 18"BBS to 17" wheels do much to improve the feel over rough stuff?
From experience, I can't honestly say either way, but going by my understanding of things, it should soften up things a bit, since I'm guessing on the 18's you have a 35 sidewall, you would go to 45 sidewall on the 17's, IIRC. If you search my posts from a little earlier, I shared a link to a calculator that should help in figuring out what will fit, and what the difference of the fit will be.
3. If I go with King Springs will the ride feel more stiff? And what size tires can I fit with them?
The ride is stiffer in some ways with the King's (I'm running the lifting springs on revalved struts), but the springs are made to have a progressive spring rate, so they change depending on how hard you hit, of that makes any sense.
4. I see aftermarket Forester Shock/Struts on eBay will they fit my STI and how much clearance/Tire will this give me?
This I can't help you with, but some of the other guys over on DirtyImpreza.com could probably give you a better rundown on all of these questions, and if you want some more answers from me on there, my sn is the same there. GL!!
I want a little lift but don't need a lot, more interested in ride comfort over rough stuff and fitting a little more meat under the wells

Also,
Any suggestions on wheels and tires??

Thanks for any help and advice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My question is really .. What tire size will fit with spacer lift (18" and 17" wheels) and
what tire size will fit with a forester strut lift? Also if I go with a forester strut lift does it have to be OEM or will aftermarket forester struts I see online fit??

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Thanks Greg
No prob. Good luck on DI, there is a lot of useful info on there, and some of the most knowledgable guys I've found in the Subie scene (they make the major majority of nasty sock seem like ignorant cavemen). Regardless, I know there are a few threads on there that will help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts