ClubWRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, couple things. I've always disliked Subarus for a long time, but eventually they grew on me and I started to like them more and more, and finally when the '08 STI was revealed, I fell in love with it. I don't know what it is, i've always hated hatchbacks but the 08 STI just made it look so damn cool. Now i'm really sold on getting one.

Now i'm still pretty new when it comes to asian motors, I had a Tiburon when I first got my license and quickly sold that junk within two months and eventually got a Trans Am. I love V8s and american motor, but i'll admit that they fall short to the ingenuity and complexity of foreign autos.

So i've been researching alot about the STIs, and reading lots of posts and comments about them, and it seems everyone hates the 08 STI cause its a hatchback. Everyone is also saying it feels softer then what an STI should feel like. Now I could care less what people think about a car when it comes to look, because I just want a car that excels in speed and performace. Forget any of the luxuries, I could care less, in fact i'd prefer less accessories to make it lighter.

So comparing the 08 STI to previous models, will it end up being a better car then its sedan predecessors? What differences are there in speed and power as a hatchback, versus sedan? What mods are coming for it, and will it be able to compete with 350zs and EvoX?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Uh, welcome to the club?

It's all personal preference man. Most people here don't like the look of the '08s, I personally drive one and I think it's more sleek but I do miss the super aggressive look of the previous WRXs and STis. I'm willing to bet this thread quickly turns into a flame war.

As far as the mods go, yeah, I'd bet my balls that the same stuff for the old models come out for the '08. Why? It looks different, it's the same car (more or less), the after market parts sell and that's what these companies try to do... sell.

Argue all you want about performance, looks, part availability, whatever. The one thing I'll tell you is get it, you'll love it.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I DON"T think "most" here, hate the 08 but there are a significant number that prefer the looks of the previous models... I would take an 08 STi over any previous model, hands down.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
So comparing the 08 STI to previous models, will it end up being a better car then its sedan predecessors?
What does "better" mean?

Better looking?
Better at the dragstrip?
Better mod-ability?
Better as a commuter?
Better utility?
Better fuel mileage?
Better in the corners?
Better reliability?
Better at getting teh gurls?
Better at getting you street cred with your buddies?

Given the newness of the model, and the subjectivity of some of these categories, I'd say that your question is difficult to answer with any certainty.

I would be proud to own an '08 STI, as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does "better" mean?

Better looking?
Better at the dragstrip?
Better mod-ability?
Better as a commuter?
Better utility?
Better fuel mileage?
Better in the corners?
Better reliability?
Better at getting teh gurls?
Better at getting you street cred with your buddies?

Given the newness of the model, and the subjectivity of some of these categories, I'd say that your question is difficult to answer with any certainty.

I would be proud to own an '08 STI, as well.
Just better in terms of drag-strip and corners. I could care less what it looks like or if others think its ugly, as long as its able to outperform. We'll see in the future i guess.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It already has more power than previous models due to the exhaust valve timing. A set of springs and sways should take care of the suspension issues. I'd rock a new one right away if i could. They'll be tuning up real nice. Just wait. A lot of these ney-sayers will be changing their minds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It already has more power than previous models due to the exhaust valve timing. A set of springs and sways should take care of the suspension issues. I'd rock a new one right away if i could. They'll be tuning up real nice. Just wait. A lot of these ney-sayers will be changing their minds.
Yeah from what I read it seems like the tradition goes that everyone dislikes something Subaru at first but it always ends up growing on them? Heh I dunno, but i'm excited!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not a nay-sayer, for the record. :(

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Now i'm still pretty new when it comes to asian motors, I had a Tiburon when I first got my license and quickly sold that junk within two months and eventually got a Trans Am.
:rotfl:
Welocome. THe 08's are sweet:thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So hatchback vs sedan, theres no difference in power or weight distribution, just personal preference?

·
Registered
594 Posts
the 08 has been putting out better numbers then previous ones. check on iwsti forums at world ones, and all the other vendor related tuners that are geting down n dirty. i hate the looks. but i still respect the hell out of it.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
So hatchback vs sedan, theres no difference in power or weight distribution, just personal preference?
there is a difference. The sedan loses in all categories, also the sedan is for north america only, there will not be an 08 WRX Sedan anywhere but here.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Does it bother anyone else that we have to reference a $40,000 sport car/wagon's necessity for springs/sways to be competitive and appease expectations?
No.

It is what it is. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
DTR you dont NEED springs , as an owner one might feel its a good upgrade, but the car is competitive without upgraded springs. In one review i watched it seemed the driver just needed to push the car harder to get it to feel right.

the WRX Being well positioned in its market and the STI being slightly overpriced are exactly Subarus objectives, they only need to sell enough STIs to be in WRC.

There are plenty of $100,000 cars with far greater shortcomings.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Well, it bothers me.

When looking at a group of cars costing $35k-$40k we shouldn't have to say "well, spend a grand on suspension mods for the $40,000 STI and it will fix the problems".

That's something you say about a wrx. The $25,000 WRX. Not a $40,000 STI imo.
I see what you're saying.

I think this is the symptom of Subaru's changing marketing strategies. Their output doesnt meet some peoples expectations.

I'm sure there will be plenty of SPT stuff that one could finance and have installed prior to delivery in the near future. Just like before.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.