ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want a short throw shifter because the stock one is kinda crap. I am new to Subaru so know nothing about the options available to me. Is it worth asking my dealer to install a Subaru 5 speed STI shifter or am I better off buying a Cobb for half the price and installing that?

Edit: Is it easy to install this myself? I am not mechanically minded, but can handle basic things.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bump.

I also have an '08 WRX and I'm also looking to get a short shifter. But which one? Kart Boy, STP, Perrin, Cobb, AVO? Which one seems to have the best reviews amongst ClubWRX.net?

·
Registered
0 Posts
kb makes a good ss

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone one have experience with the Subaru shifter? It is certain not to void any warranties. It would be useful to know how it stands up the Cobb and the KB, both of which seem to get good reviews on this site.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Does anyone one have experience with the Subaru shifter? It is certain not to void any warranties. It would be useful to know how it stands up the Cobb and the KB, both of which seem to get good reviews on this site.
i have it on one of my sti... the kb one is alot cheaper and has alot shorter of a throw

·
Registered
96 Posts
i have it on one of my sti... the kb one is alot cheaper and has alot shorter of a throw
Thanks a lot rr1911, that's good information to me and it's especially reassuring since about 2 hours ago, I ordered a KB short shifter.

·
Registered
842 Posts
my 07 WRX has the Sti 5 speed Short throw. it costs a ton more but was already on the car. the reason its so much more is because its not just an adapter or something to change the angles. They actually replace it with a whole new shifter assembly. i've been pretty happy with it though... pretty much no slop.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I looked at their website and didn't see a shifter for the '08.
From: http://www.allwheelengineering.com/basket/catalog.cgi?query_net_id=kartboy&query_class=KB-002-1997

The line reads:
KB-002-LEG - 2005 & Up Legacy, 2006 FXT, 08 WRX ($ 130.00)
(I bolded the relevant part)

Note that this is actually for the bushings and the lever; $100 for level, $30 for bushings.

EDIT:

Uh... I was also taking a second look and I see a line that reads:
KB-030-LEG - 2005+ Legacy,08 WRX Lever/Front/Rear Bus ($ 160.00)

Did I futz up?

·
Registered
438 Posts
From: http://www.allwheelengineering.com/basket/catalog.cgi?query_net_id=kartboy&query_class=KB-002-1997

The line reads:
KB-002-LEG - 2005 & Up Legacy, 2006 FXT, 08 WRX ($ 130.00)
(I bolded the relevant part)

Note that this is actually for the bushings and the lever; $100 for level, $30 for bushings.

EDIT:

Uh... I was also taking a second look and I see a line that reads:
KB-030-LEG - 2005+ Legacy,08 WRX Lever/Front/Rear Bus ($ 160.00)

Did I futz up?
It depends on what bushing came with the kit there are 4 different bushings if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I emailed Tom (of Kart-Boy):
I was just looking through the rest of your site and I see there's also:KB-030-LEG - 2005+ Legacy,08 WRX Lever/Front/Rear Bus ($ 160.00)
What's the difference between the KB-030-LEG and the KB-002-LEG I ordered? I was under the impression that the KB-002-LEG was coming with bushings, but the KB-030-LEG has other bushings? Any information you could provide would be great, thanks.
He seems like a cool, nice, and knowledgeable (who doesn't next to me?) guy... he replied with:
Hi
sorry for all the confusion. the difference is the second one the 030
will add the rear shifter bushings. the 002 is the shifter with the front
bushings. were you looking for the shifter combo with both front and rear
bushings?
He then asked about the '08 WRX, cause apparently he might get one for R&D (go Tom!).

For the record: I've asked Tom to add those rear bushings to my order and that's what will be going in my car... hopefully next weekend.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I want a short throw shifter because the stock one is kinda crap.
I now have nearly $600 miles on my week-old WRX and I'm not happy with the shifter - it is vague and generally has poor feel compared to the VWs (such as my just-sold Passat) that I've owned. Will the short-throw shifter improve gear shifting or just give me a short throw?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I now have nearly $600 miles on my week-old WRX and I'm not happy with the shifter - it is vague and generally has poor feel compared to the VWs (such as my just-sold Passat) that I've owned. Will the short-throw shifter improve gear shifting or just give me a short throw?
It will improve the feel also look into shifter bushings for an even better feel. The two together will make a good change.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It will improve the feel also look into shifter bushings for an even better feel. The two together will make a good change.
I have no time to do anything like this myself, and want to keep the warranty intact, so any idea what it would cost to have this installed at the dealer?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no time to do anything like this myself, and want to keep the warranty intact, so any idea what it would cost to have this installed at the dealer?
In Canada it's under $650 installed. US is probably less. My dealer told me that an aftermarrket short shifter doesn't void the warranty - but who knows what they'd say if I blew the gearbox.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I believe the the only shifter that will NOT void the warranty is the factory OEM short shifter. The OEM one is more expensive because it is a whole assembly not just the lever if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I believe the the only shifter that will NOT void the warranty is the factory OEM short shifter. The OEM one is more expensive because it is a whole assembly not just the lever if I am not mistaken.
One other post says that improving the bushings makes a big difference. Does the OEM one do that too?

·
Registered
438 Posts
One other post says that improving the bushings makes a big difference. Does the OEM one do that too?
Replacing your OEM ones with new OEM ones its the same thing and most likely just as expensive as aftermarket ones if not more

Replacing the OEM bushings with aftermarket bushings makes a noticeable difference right away. The OEM front shifter bushing is a 1 piece rubber bushing (which makes it a little more difficult to remove) the aftermarket ones are a 2 piece design that is much harder and improve feel.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts