ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can some one tell me what is the max safe HP the 07 2.5L engine can take

this is for some one who baby the car, but enjoys the hard acceleration here and there

no track or anything else for now

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Protune StageII would be your best bet, unless you want to go and start swapping turbos (and everything that goes with it).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Protune StageII would be your best bet, unless you want to go and start swapping turbos (and everything that goes with it).
hmmm what i really want to know is the numbers like let say it will handle 400hp no problem... i have seen people talk about the sti block which can take up to 400 no problem.. i am pretty sure mine is the same as an 07 sti ( i know compresion ratios and some internals are different)

well i already bought the vf39 and i was looking to use the xpt race map for stage 3 .. i just want to make sure i wont have any engine problems in the next 3 years..already at stageII but not protuned.. and i dont have access to a protune anywhere near my area so thats out

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
alphaomega0 said:
hmmm what i really want to know is the numbers like let say it will handle 400hp no problem... i have seen people talk about the sti block which can take up to 400 no problem.. i am pretty sure mine is the same as an 07 sti ( i know compresion ratios and some internals are different)

well i already bought the vf39 and i was looking to use the xpt race map for stage 3 .. i just want to make sure i wont have any engine problems in the next 3 years..already at stageII but not protuned.. and i dont have access to a protune anywhere near my area so thats out
Protune VF39 would put you near the numbers for a Protuned StageII STi (300whp/320wtq)

·
Registered
314 Posts
its not about how much your engine can hold its how well your trans will hold. ive seen ppl running upwards of 350+ hp on the stock 2.5l engines but the transmissions have shown that they can break very easily with 300 whp or less. honestly id look into some stronger gears b4 you put your vf 39 in, or just go ahead with the turbo swap and just be easy on your trans until you get some new gears in.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
If tuned properly your motor should be fine on a vf-39. It's all about the tune..a crappy tune can blow a motor really fast.

I'd pay attention to the tranny through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
400whp will be pushing it.. so stay around 370whp and should be ok.. Your tranny would have cried to death but your motor will be fine.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
hmmm what i really want to know is the numbers like let say it will handle 400hp no problem...
I do not believe those are meaningful statements. A power output number followed by "no problem" says nothing useful, in that the effects on long-term engine longevity really aren't addressed (example: "no problem" is not a length of time in months or years or distance traveled...). If the stock motor can -- and will! -- fail at some point, one would expect a modified motor producing more power to do so as well. When? I don't know; it depends on the parts you've selected and how fuel/timing/boost are handled.

The advice about a good map and solid parts is very sound IMO. Pick something tried before and maintain the motor as best you can. A VF39 plus support parts should be a no-brainer, as the factory essentially sells the same parts combination and warrantees it for 60k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts