ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ok I'm making this thread basically to ask / see what all of you guys think about my setup the I'm going to be heading for this summer. Starting around June or so I plan on picking up a new turbo, I'm debating between a TD06 20G or a FPGreen turbo both should put out about 350 AWHP whit a good tune ( I hope ) which sounds about right. I truly don't want to go any higher then that. I really have no reasons on why I want to do this other then to satisfy my need of more power in the lil scoob, I already beat my cousins 06 GTO in a straight line and of course the twisties, but it wouldn't hurt to just leave him in the dust every once an while.

So my Idea is to pick one of those turbos and get the essentials like fuel pump and injectors and all that good stuff, but my questions really are what kind of FMIC can i use that wont require me cutting my front bumper / crash bar, because I would really like to have my car insured if I had a front end collision. And I know this is a really blah subject but how do you think the engine will hold up? I know its all down the to tuner and how hard I drive it, and how well I maintain the car but if someone was to take an educated guess as to how well they think the internals would hold up I would really like to hear your answer.
I'm already thinking about doing PPG gears 1-4, because an STi swap just sounds like too much to do, as much as I would really like to have that extra gear I just think its too much for me to handle and I don't want to pay for that kinda labor.

If i could have some of the more experienced guys out there touch base a little on my project here i would love it, but really anyones info is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
Ok I'm making this thread basically to ask / see what all of you guys think about my setup the I'm going to be heading for this summer. Starting around June or so I plan on picking up a new turbo, I'm debating between a TD06 20G or a FPGreen turbo both should put out about 350 AWHP whit a good tune ( I hope ) which sounds about right. I truly don't want to go any higher then that. I really have no reasons on why I want to do this other then to satisfy my need of more power in the lil scoob, I already beat my cousins 06 GTO in a straight line and of course the twisties, but it wouldn't hurt to just leave him in the dust every once an while.
Hmm, both of those turbos would be a good choice. Flip a coin ;)
So my Idea is to pick one of those turbos and get the essentials like fuel pump and injectors and all that good stuff, but my questions really are what kind of FMIC can i use that wont require me cutting my front bumper / crash bar, because I would really like to have my car insured if I had a front end collision.
None, that I am aware of.. It's be a teeny fmic to fit under the front crash bar. That things like 6" tall. Front bumper will require trimming, regardless, just due to it's design. ...unless I'm missing something..
And I know this is a really blah subject but how do you think the engine will hold up? I know its all down the to tuner and how hard I drive it, and how well I maintain the car but if someone was to take an educated guess as to how well they think the internals would hold up I would really like to hear your answer.
I think the numbers you are after, are modest, and the car should hold up well, at that level.
I'm already thinking about doing PPG gears 1-4, because an STi swap just sounds like too much to do, as much as I would really like to have that extra gear I just think its too much for me to handle and I don't want to pay for that kinda labor.

If i could have some of the more experienced guys out there touch base a little on my project here i would love it, but really anyones info is greatly appreciated.
PPGs are a good choice. STI swap isn't much more money, if you shop around. Labor-intensive: yes. But it isn't something you couldn't handle in a weekend, provided you had all needed parts/accys before-hand, and armed with some knowledge..

·
Banned
327 Posts
go for the 20g. i am doing the same swap. the green is meant for more hp than that, and realisticly, the 20g can take more than that also. and if you decide to get one of them, make sure you go deadbolt instead of fp. deadbolt comes coated, and with all the stuff you need to install. if you get either, u will eventually need new gears, but i have heard of people lasting 20k miles on the 20g with out losing a gear

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were just the person i was hoping would read my post and reply thanks for taking the time.

So there really isnt a FMIC out there that doesnt require any trimming/ removing of needed parts to comply with insurance companies?

As for the trans swap, its not totally outa the picture, I really wouldnt mind doing the swap it would just require alot of info gathering to make sure I get the right parts for my year of car

·
Banned
327 Posts
You were just the person i was hoping would read my post and reply thanks for taking the time.

So there really isnt a FMIC out there that doesnt require any trimming/ removing of needed parts to comply with insurance companies?

As for the trans swap, its not totally outa the picture, I really wouldnt mind doing the swap it would just require alot of info gathering to make sure I get the right parts for my year of car
and i am also dooing the 1-4 ppg swap to. same car?!?!?!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
go for the 20g. i am doing the same swap. the green is meant for more hp than that, and realisticly, the 20g can take more than that also. and if you decide to get one of them, make sure you go deadbolt instead of fp. deadbolt comes coated, and with all the stuff you need to install. if you get either, u will eventually need new gears, but i have heard of people lasting 20k miles on the 20g with out losing a gear
Yah im leaning towards the 20G I think i might go with that one. I'm hoping I could be one of the lucky ones and hold out for a year or so on the trans swap but you never know when the time is right > : (

·
Banned
327 Posts
talk to ansonowicz he has a 20g with a full sti swap. he is the one who lasted 20k miles. he said his trans was fine... he just swapped it to be safe

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts

there may be, but I am unaware. Every one I've seen, requires some sort of trimming and crash-bar removal, unfortunately. I mean, some of the FMICs, you can get away with trimming some of the crashbar off the bottom, to clear.
And as for the piping clearing the bumper, nah.. don't think that's gonna happen, either.. Again, though, not that I am aware of, or have seen.
yeah, definitely wanna do your homework, and parts gathering, PRIOR to opening a toolbox. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts