ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I have two total nub questions. So having my car tuned without any modifications like a DP what could i expect to gain from that? Such as HP and turbo PSI. Also for some reason I am obsessed with BOV's, so I was wondering what kind of PSi i would need to be producing to have one.

Also what would someone recommend for a DP?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Power isn't just about PSI. Every tuner will map the car differently. 16-17PSI isn't unheard of for a StageI (stock downpipe, reflash) tune.

Invidia makes a pretty good inexpensive downpipe.

The OE valve typically holds 20PSI no problem on the '02-'07 models. If you want an aftermarket BOV, look into getting your car tuned speed density (as opposed to MAF), and dropping the money on a quality unit like Tial.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
If you were to get the SPT intake, and a catless downpipe you are likely to not want/need a BOV as your factory BPV will be a lot more noticeable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm I see. Thanks. I mentioned in a previous thread about wanting more power and I kind of figured it wasn't all about the Psi but im still left wondering where the power gain would come from if that's not to vague of a question.

With the catless DP and SPT intake would I pass emissions? And what about the sound? Would it be extremely loud?

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
hmm I see. Thanks. I mentioned in a previous thread about wanting more power and I kind of figured it wasn't all about the Psi but im still left wondering where the power gain would come from if that's not to vague of a question.

With the catless DP and SPT intake would I pass emissions? And what about the sound? Would it be extremely loud?
Catless, probably not. The sound of your exhaust comes down to what catback you decide to go with.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of benefit could i expect from a stage one tune? Also, How would it effect my gas mileage? With a stage one tune would i be able to have a BOV? or would the BPV make that sound i desire? im interested in more power but without destroying my gas mileage. If i were to get it tuned should I go with a Cobb tuner or go to P & L motors around here and have them tune it, Im kind of concerned with purchasing a COBB tuner for the fact that I have no idea what i would be doing.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Abschatten said:
I mentioned in a previous thread about wanting more power and I kind of figured it wasn't all about the Psi but im still left wondering where the power gain would come from if that's not to vague of a question.
It's a balance of boost, timing, and fueling; every tuner will set that balance differently.

Abschatten said:
What kind of benefit could i expect from a stage one tune?
Smoother powerband, slightly more power.

Abschatten said:
Also, How would it effect my gas mileage?
Probably increase highway / lower city.

Abschatten said:
With a stage one tune would i be able to have a BOV?
You can install one now if you want. It will not be beneficial other than a sound.

Abschatten said:
If i were to get it tuned should I go with a Cobb tuner or go to P & L motors around here and have them tune it, Im kind of concerned with purchasing a COBB tuner for the fact that I have no idea what i would be doing.
If you're not willing to replace the downpipe, I wouldn't bother going to a shop for a custom reflash.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Abschatten said:
Thank you so much for the response. How would I go about a COBB stage 1 tuner? Is there a bunch of tunes included or what about the ones online? Like I said I'm very ignorant on this subject.
I'm not sure what's included, but likely StageI/II maps will be on there. If not, download the appropriate one from their site.

·
8,921 Posts
Hey thanks. Im thinking of purchasing the cobb tuner especially for the fuel saving map because I spend a lot of time on the highway and I have a 2600 mile round trip to Florida. The increase in power will be nice too
Where to in FL?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Abschatten said:
Hey thanks. Im thinking of purchasing the cobb tuner especially for the fuel saving map because I spend a lot of time on the highway and I have a 2600 mile round trip to Florida. The increase in power will be nice too
The fuel economy map is a sham. Use your right foot for mileage (restrained acceleration, CC set @ speed limit); you don't want to be in a situation where power can get you out of trouble and be neutered because of the map.

·
8,921 Posts
Heading down to Orlando. Leaving March 3rd or 4th :D. the girlfriend and I are heading down to visit a friend for spring break and to get out of Chicago/Michigan. We could use some sun.
Tampa > Orlando. Unless you're doing Disney things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts