Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question regarding my 2006 WRX Wagon. Apparently the power steering rack wanted to go out yesterday while driving 80 on an entrance ramp turn, which was fun to figure out what just happened.

But needless to say the power steering rack is leaking and so I am looking to get it replaced.

When I was doing research here on the forums, I was trying to see if there was anything at about people swapping out the '06 WRX steering rack with an STi steering rack. I could not find anything specific to my car (lots of bugeyes swaps and what not but nothing that I saw immediately for my car).

My assumption from what I can piece together from some other posts for older cars, is that it should be a one for one swap. But I am not 100% positive and don't want to go down a path with not know for certain.

Is it just a quick interchangeable direct swap of putting in an '06 STi steering rack in place of the WRX? Or is there modifications, new lines or a new pump that would be needed as well?

I don't know if I could just do a straight out swap and be good or if it is more detailed and more work than if I were to just replace with WRX steering rack.

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
Order a 2015+ STI steering rack for the better ratio. I'm regretting not swapping mine when I had it out of the car, but my shop bill was already ~$6K for the two vehicles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts