ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I recently sealed the deal on a 06 WRX with 80k on it that I'll be picking up on Monday, the carfax is clean no accidents, the vehicle itself is pretty clean I just had a few questions, is 80k to much for this car? was it a stupid buy, I followed the sticky "How to buy a used WRX or STI" as much as a I could the only 2 problems i can say by test driving the car twice is that when the clutch is in it makes a squeaky noise that I can hear in the engine bay sounds similar to this video but the slave cylinder does not move (Clutch sqeaking/creaking 2008 Wrx engine bay - YouTube) also the car idle dips slightly below 750 then goes back up, when I look at the engine it does have a minor shake, does that indicate that there is a leak somewhere or am I being to cautious lol? Here's a link to the car 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX, $16,990 - Cars.com Anyway thanks for help in advance I appreciate it a lot....

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Congrats on the purchase And welcome to the board! :)...I surely hope 80k miles isn't too much, I plan on mine going much longer than that ;)! If well maintained, they are easily going well over 200k miles so I wouldn't worry about the mileage.

The squeek noise when the clutch is pressed is probably the throwout bearing in the clutch, something that probably doesn't need to be addressed right away but a new clutch and bearing will need to be replaced in the near future.

The dip in idle and shaking could be perfectly normal, was the A/C or defrost on? that could be the culprit. Subaru engines always have a little "roughness" to them, they move a little and I do't think it's anything to worry about. What I would recommend is to take it to a mechanic you trust and have them look it over and do whatever maintenance is due (coolant, oil, trans and diff fluid) to have a known starting point to continue from. And enjoy :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it....a little update, I got the car and it's great I'm in love with it just the few things I stated before how the engine would sometimes shake (A/C was off) and the car would seem to hesitate upon acceleration but my friend who drove it said he didn't feel anything (maybe its just me) however Thursday of last week the CEL came on with code P2442 Secondary Valve stuck open....took it back to the dealer they said come back Monday when they have enough time, they didnt know what to do so then they sent it to Subaru (bought it from a Jeep Chrysler dealer) and Subaru said they have to replace the air pump assembly along with the left and right valve, whatever that means the repair costs is $2,400...I should have the car back Tuesday hopefully...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it....a little update, I got the car and it's great I'm in love with it just the few things I stated before how the engine would sometimes shake (A/C was off) and the car would seem to hesitate upon acceleration but my friend who drove it said he didn't feel anything (maybe its just me) however Thursday of last week the CEL came on with code P2442 Secondary Valve stuck open....took it back to the dealer they said come back Monday when they have enough time, they didnt know what to do so then they sent it to Subaru (bought it from a Jeep Chrysler dealer) and Subaru said they have to replace the air pump assembly along with the left and right valve, whatever that means the repair costs is $2,400...I should have the car back Tuesday hopefully...
Is the dealer you bought it from picking up the $2400 bill?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
welcome... my secondary air pump went out on my car and I was quoated 1300ish to replace it... I dont know how they got to 2400 on yours, but you car remove the thing and install blocking plates on the heads... You'll just have to go through and delete the dtc codes off the map via access port or romraider and a tactrix cable...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So a little update, I got my car back last night and everything was fine, no more CEL and the idle was perfect no more roughness, but another problem arose :( while I was at a red light I looked to the right of my hood and saw steam/smoke coming out, not sure which one so I arrived home popped the hood and saw it was coming from the intake area it's would steam on and off, kinda weird, then another problem I smelled was a sweet smell coming from the right of the engine (if your looking at the engine bay) I can't seem to pinpoint it, and no idea what it could possibly be.... please help guys I'm desperate lol..........Thanks in advance!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts