ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a 2006 wrx that has already been modded somewhat. I am considering adding more power to it and would like to ask for advice since im new to the subaru world. I put it on the dyno and it made 285whp and 296wtq. The dyno shop told me the next supporting mod I would need is a STI 6 speed swap.. They said I could prolly do the swap for under 5k without selling my old tranny.
My current mods are, SPT intake, SPT exhaust, Bigger turbo (Previous owner), Invidia downpipe, 3 inch exhaust, upgraded coil pack, brembo front brake kit, rota G force rims, Defi boost gauge with control unit II, xenon conversion kit, open sourced tuned by previous owner and boost is set at 17psi but spikes somewhat.

What all could I do to it to maybe make 400whp in the future? I dont want to add Nos, meth, or a coffee can turbo that doesnt spool until 5k...
Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
you'll need a gt35r sized turbo. Other options are the Blouch Dominator 3.0 XT-R, AMR's Stock Location GT35R, or Forced Performance's FP Red.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Well that's just it...you'd have to add a bigger turbo to get more power. You're kind of a the point to where there really isn't much else you can do for power besides upgrade (aside from tearing down your block, perhaps headers, things like that, but that doesn't yield a good benefit per the costs). Do you know what turbo is on the car now? I can't tell from that pic...

Increasing power further *could* be rough on the stock transmission as the 5spd is generally known to be unreliable as you approach 300whp, but that also depends highly on how you drive (abuse it? launch? bang gears? etc.)...if you take it easy on the tranny, it can last fine at your power level.

While it is a very worthwhile upgrade if you plan on increasing power further and still want your car to last...it sounds like that shop suggested a tranny swap to the STI 6-spd so they could get $5k of your money.

You need to read and research...find out what you have now and figure out how these cars work best, how they respond, and figure out a proper mod path so you aren't just throwing money at it without any real goals. Do you want a track car? Reliable car? Drag car? Auto-x car? Simple yet fun daily driver? Figure these out first...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I will be replacing the tranny first. I want to know what it takes to get a good 400whp. I dont see myself as a abusive driver of the car. Yes I drive it fast somewhat but I do not launch it and do not bang gears. I want a fun daily driver. I do not know what size turbo is on it now. They just said it isnt stock.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Look at my build thread (in my signature). That's what you need. With the exception of a Dom 3 instead of a Dom 1.5

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a lot of learning to do. For the first time Im going to say it was easier to mod the benz. Idk what some of that stuff even is.. :(.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
What dyno? They all read differently, and will require a different level of modifications to get there. The most accurate answer for what you'd need is from the person tuning the car, as they'll know that dyno and their tuning ability best.

A true 400whp is going to require a "motor build" budget. Whether the motor goes in 1K miles or 20K miles, it will eventually let go. The likelihood of doing that on pump gas increases it, since detonation kills motors, and octane prevents detonation.

Without knowing the shop in question, if you want to stick to a 400whp goal, my advice is a rotated GT30R setup. It will put down the #s you seek on most dynos, and will do so more efficiently than a stock-location alternative.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
My tuner expects 430 with the engine to support it, EWG, and FMIC.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would doing it on the same dyno that I made those numbers. Do you think on the same dyno I could bump it up another 120whp?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
no one can answer that without seeing what turbo you have on there right now is...

I'd guess it's a vf39 with the numbers you provided... and then definitely it's possible. My VF39 made 253whp on the same dyno I just made 380.. but if that's a 20g's number, then you'll blow the block trying to get much more power.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Keep in mind that a rotated setup will cost more. And there will be more modification involved if you don't purchase a full kit (like the Perrin)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looked like it said telt on the turbo I could be wrong. Also they think its a stock sti turbo or slightly bigger.. How much money are we talking?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Sinister said:
Keep in mind that a rotated setup will cost more. And there will be more modification involved if you don't purchase a full kit (like the Perrin)
It's pretty similar, actually, once you factor in selling of the stock-location parts (intake, inlet, uppipe, downpipe, etc.)...

mbfinatic said:
How much money are we talking?
There are different levels. For a setup that will hit your goal on any dyno, $3-5K, plus a motor / transmission build budget for if/when either takes a dump.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So from were im at now it will prolly cost 4-5k for the new tranny.. Than another 3-5k to add another 120whp :(.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
mbfinatic said:
So from were im at now it will prolly cost 4-5k for the new tranny.. Than another 3-5k to add another 120whp :(.
If you want big power for cheap, you need to look at V8s, not a F/I 4-cylinder.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My last car was a V8. It was not cheap to modify if you went with brand name parts. Kleemann had a 10k supercharger kit for a 20k car... :(

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
This 400WHP game is bull****. Seriously if you want to hit 400WHP in an AWD car your going to be into a motor build. Personally if you have the5K for a transmission I'd put it first into building a motor. You will see a bump in HP with a motor build and you can use your current set up to properly break in the new engine. Eventually you will need a 6speed but if you want 400whp to do it reliably you need to build that block. You won't be in it 5 grand, maybe you can take the time to sell your current drive train and purchase the 6 speed as well.
The only reason people want 400hp is because they can say they have 400hp. If your putting down 330hp and can launch the car it's going to destroy most high horsepower cars because you have the upper hand with AWD and traction.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts