Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopping right onto the tune wagon with my '06.

Doing Megan racing downpipe and uppipe, with a maddad whisper or an HKS Hi Power Exhaust.

How's the open source tuning community look these days?

Most stickies in this sub forum are pretty old.

Also is getting an intake worth anything yet?

Bill

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Don't waste your time with an uppipe on your car, especially a Megan Racing one. Yours is catless from the factory, the install is a nuissance, you won't really gain all that much, and Megan Racing (and all the other eBay companies that sell the same rebranded crap) uppipes are notorious for having their flex section fail in short order. If you were swapping turbos (and it'd just be the two manifold bolts left to swap it out) or if you were going with an EWG, that'd be a different story, but if neither of those are true, you're better off investing money elsewhere.

The intake isn't really a power restriction on a TD04-powered vehicle, but an aftermarket unit will make all the fun turbo noises, and for some, that's worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't waste your time with an uppipe on your car, especially a Megan Racing one. Yours is catless from the factory, the install is a nuissance, you won't really gain all that much, and Megan Racing (and all the other eBay companies that sell the same rebranded crap) uppipes are notorious for having their flex section fail in short order. If you were swapping turbos (and it'd just be the two manifold bolts left to swap it out) or if you were going with an EWG, that'd be a different story, but if neither of those are true, you're better off investing money elsewhere.

The intake isn't really a power restriction on a TD04-powered vehicle, but an aftermarket unit will make all the fun turbo noises, and for some, that's worth it.
hehehe i do like fun turbo noises. So just might be worth it for me. any suggestions?

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
wehaveaT-WRX said:
hehehe i do like fun turbo noises. So just might be worth it for me. any suggestions?
Are you planning on DIY calibration?

I prefer traditional cold air intakes that keep the filter isolated from the engine bay.

I prefer non-oiled filters, as an oiled filter can cause issues with MAF readings.

It's no longer sold here, but I really like the APS 65mm CAI, because the filter is in the fender, but it's located basically behind the headlight, which should help prevent water ingestion. You can find them for sale used, but if you can't find one you're comfortable buying, KSTech makes an intake that is similar in terms of filter placement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you planning on DIY calibration?

It's no longer sold here, but I really like the APS 65mm CAI, because the filter is in the fender, but it's located basically behind the headlight, which should help prevent water ingestion. You can find them for sale used, but if you can't find one you're comfortable buying, KSTech makes an intake that is similar in terms of filter placement.
Yes as to DIY calibration.

I'm trying to find a reason not to get a dirt cheap CAI and replace the filter. like this: 02-06 Subaru Impreza WRX / STI 2.0L Performance Cold Air Intake - Blue

if it gets the filter to the same spot and has the same tube diameter... why spend $300?

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Avoid metal intakes. The metal holds heat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Avoid metal intakes. The metal holds heat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
will reach steady state Temp and doesn't really matter after that. can wrap and reflect but so much air is moving through it, where the filter is matters more than material, right?

also what CAIs out there arent metal?

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
wehaveaT-WRX said:
Yes as to DIY calibration.
Have you done any EFI calibration before?

wehaveaT-WRX said:
I'm trying to find a reason not to get a dirt cheap CAI and replace the filter. like this: 02-06 Subaru Impreza WRX / STI 2.0L Performance Cold Air Intake - Blue

if it gets the filter to the same spot and has the same tube diameter... why spend $300?
Because there's more to MAF scaling than the diameter itself. Proximity to a piping bend, for example, can affect how air flows over the MAF, and will affect your readings.

Larger companies to R&D to do flow testing to understand the physics, and make design changes to account for this stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you done any EFI calibration before?

Because there's more to MAF scaling than the diameter itself. Proximity to a piping bend, for example, can affect how air flows over the MAF, and will affect your readings.

Larger companies to R&D to do flow testing to understand the physics, and make design changes to account for this stuff.
I've got a few friends that have a fair amount of experience tuning WRXs specifically.

How about a name brand Short Ram Intake with a no name extension to get it outta the engine bay?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts