Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just picked up my first Subaru yesterday. I got a 05 wrx. The kid I bought it off of did a Jdm ej205 swap on it recently, and told me it was running fine until the day before I came to look at it. The car is only producing 4 pounds of boost and I can't figure out why. He told me it was the fpr but I replaced it and it didn't fix the problem. I don't wanna take it somewhere and start throwing money at it. Where should I start?
I checked for boost leaks everywhere and couldn't find any. I'm hoping I didn't get screwed. I can hear the turbo spool when I rev it, but it's not super loud. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It has a v3 accessport if that helps lol

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
6,611 Posts
Boost leaks, boost lines, all couplers.

But the real question here, why did you buy a JDM swap when you know it wasn't running right? Hopefully this kid didn't just dump his problem on you.

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
You need to pressure test the intake and have an actual vacuum leak performed. Look for preturbo exhaust leaks, and have a compression test done. It wouldn't be slightly surprising if you bought a lemon. Sadly a giant portion of the jdm engines that make it here are junk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I've had this car for about 2 months now. I took it to a local performance shop for diagnostics and they gave me a list of stuff to fix, misfire, tps, rip in turbo inlet, missing 02 sensor etc... I fixed everything and the car has no codes, still ran the same. So I took it back for another hour of diagnostics and he said that the clutch was slipping really bad and needed replaced. Today I just installed the new clutch, and once again the car runs eaxactly the same and I dumped even more money into it. I can't get over 5.83 psi. I live in Pittsburgh so if anyone knows a good shop nearby that can help me out let me know.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Zach1234 said:
So I've had this car for about 2 months now. I took it to a local performance shop for diagnostics and they gave me a list of stuff to fix, misfire, tps, rip in turbo inlet, missing 02 sensor etc... I fixed everything and the car has no codes, still ran the same. So I took it back for another hour of diagnostics and he said that the clutch was slipping really bad and needed replaced. Today I just installed the new clutch, and once again the car runs eaxactly the same and I dumped even more money into it. I can't get over 5.83 psi. I live in Pittsburgh so if anyone knows a good shop nearby that can help me out let me know.
TPG Tuning in Blairsville is probably your best bet. They're familiar with modified Subarus.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts

Unfortunately that's how it goes a lot of the time when purchasing a previously modified car. For what it's worth, assuming the shop you've been taking it to is legit and not trying to screw you, all that stuff you've spent money on so far (aside from the FPR, those rarely fail.. I would make sure the manifold pressure reference line is attached though) needed to be done anyways. If you had only fixed the other issue and not most of these other problems it would likely still be doing the same thing more or less.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you get this fixed? My friend's wrx wouldn't boost over 4lb. Found a crack in the aftermarket header right before the up pipe and around the o2 bung hole. It was hidden with some cheap heat wrap. Replaced manifold, fixed. Worth looking at anyways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you get this fixed? My friend's wrx wouldn't boost over 4lb. Found a crack in the aftermarket header right before the up pipe and around the o2 bung hole. It was hidden with some cheap heat wrap. Replaced manifold, fixed. Worth looking at anyways.
Yup I fixed it, my problem was the previous owner had an ebcs and took it off and never replaced the "pill" in one of the vacuum lines so as soon as it built enough pressure to open the wastegate, which was around 4-5psi, it just dumped all the boost

1 - 9 of 9 Posts