ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
erm...the 2.2l are immortals
but they are used in older imprezas (around 95~01 i think*) and legacys (89~99)
and yeah, i don't recommend doing that :S just find another ej205, they are getting cheap now around +-1.5k (in canada*) or simply rebuild it as sinister said ;)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
First thing to do is find out why the existing motor failed.

Fix that cause first.

Then consider another motor. You may be able to find a 2.2L from the Smithsonian Institution I suppose. I'd not bother. First I'd see what went wrong, then figure out how to avoid having that same thing go wrong again, and then I'd do some math to see what makes more $en$e: rebuild the existing motor, replace with a used motor, replace with a new block, sell the car almost correctly fixed, sell the car as is, etc.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Most stroker kits for the ej205 make it a 2.1L, not 2.2.. That's going to nearly double the cost, but if you're not concerned about that, I have heard good things about ej205 strokers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most stroker kits for the ej205 make it a 2.1L, not 2.2.. That's going to nearly double the cost, but if you're not concerned about that, I have heard good things about ej205 strokers.
I'm glad to hear that, because three months ago I had subietech of Downey CA build me a 2.2 stroker engine. It has forged heads Sti camshaft racing bearings and a high flow oil pump. I think I got a good deal I payed $4600.00 installed with a new OEM clutch . I'm wating to put in the up pipe and down pipe and Cobb tune. Any other advice?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
You mean forged pistons? And I'm guessing ACL race bearings? ACL bearings aren't any better than stock, just about half the price. If by high flow oil pump you mean he used the 12mm oil pump then that could be a problem. You don't want your oil pressure to be too high or it will blow seals. Do you have an oil pressure gauge?

If the oil pressure is pretty close to stock then you should be fine, and it should run good. With that setup an 18g would be a nice turbo to run, and of course a pro tune.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
STi turbo will work, but why? Kinda like.. you can buy a car that only turns left but why?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
11mm is perfect.

The STi turbo would be fine.. of course you would need to upgrade fuel pump and injectors for a turbo upgrade. Not sure what the 05s came with fueling wise, but someone will probably chime in.. and if you're going to that trouble I would at least upgrade the TMIC and EBCS while you're at it. Stuff really starts adding up quick. 18g would still be a better turbo..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts