ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI-STOCK

Dude says car was stolen, insurance company filed for a salvaged title in case car was recovered in pieces, then it was recovered intact which is why it's a salvaged title. I am going to check it out on Friday. This will be my first WRX and my first turbo car, I have been building small blocks since I was a wee-tike, but I'm bringing my friend who has a built SRT. I have looked at and driven 6 WRX's, 2 of which we're STI's, so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for. I have bought and sold some where around 14 cars so I've been through the riggers of checking out cars, But I just want to get some other opinions from veterans. Anything specifically to look for with this particular vehicle year. I read the things to look for thread stuck to the top too. All help is very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
So most of the mods your friend has done to his SRT, look for the opposite... But I'm sure since you read the stickies..

In reality the car can't have a salvage title because it was stolen and recovered in tact. There is something your not getting in that story, an insurance company can't salvage title a car until it was deemed wrecked beyond repair (ie what the vehicle was worth in damage)

You can figure what the vehicle is typically worth by going to KBB.com and taking off 50-70% of that value.. I try to stay below 70% since it really isn't worth anything to anyone but yourself.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,475 Posts
Do not consider a car without a smog certificate that is still current.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard in WA about cars with recovered titles after being stolen, but from what I can tell the seller seems like a straight forward guy. I guess I'll try a car facts with his VIN to see what comes up. I learned my lesson with CA smog bull**** on an '01 Silverado, bought it from a high school kid, passed the smog with the right numbers but a check engine light made it fail right then and there. I am going to ask the guy to get it smog'd before I buy it, assuming we get that far in the transaction.

I'm looking for a nice base to build a reliable 450 horsepower daily driver.

·
29,475 Posts
I don't think it's that kind of party and would urge you to reconsider your goal or to look at a different car.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Saying this statement is really ridiculous, sorry. You've never owned a turbo or a Subaru yet you're setting this arbitrary and very high goal. And do you mean crank or wheel hp? Where did you get this number from and why are you using it? Where do you live? What's your budget? How old are you and what cars have you owned in the past?

Regarding this car, salvage titles aren't filed for because of the risk of finding the car in pieces. They're filed that way because very often a stolen car has significant damage done to it, and a lot of that won't always be visible (like if somebody down shifted into 2nd at 70 mph). It's pretty much a blanket policy in the US that if a car gets stolen, it's going to get a salvage title if recovered.

I don't think it's that kind of party and would urge you to reconsider your goal or to look at a different car.
+1 read the sticky on "I want 400 whp." If all you care about is getting to 450 HP, then stick with V8 engines.

·
29,475 Posts
It's pretty much a blanket policy in the US that if a car gets stolen, it's going to get a salvage title if recovered.
Few states require a salvage title upon recovery of theft. CA is not among those few states. (In fact, neither is CO as far as I can work out; the closest states to you that seem to do so are NM and OK).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saying this statement is really ridiculous, sorry. You've never owned a turbo or a Subaru yet you're setting this arbitrary and very high goal. And do you mean crank or wheel hp? Where did you get this number from and why are you using it? Where do you live? What's your budget? How old are you and what cars have you owned in the past?
Why is it rediculous? I didn't say I want 450 horsepower right now, I plan on building this car over the course of several years. With that being said, 450 is a goal, a goal is something you work towards. I bought my '71 nova with a busted ass 327 in it, 2 years later, on a high school budget mind you, I had a car that runs consistent 12.5's. I live in San Diego, with a military budget. It really shouldn't matter how old I am. I have been around engine and car builds since I can remember. Just because I'm coming from a naturally aspirated V8 background doesn't mean I can't learn something new. Frankly the blunt, your just a dumb new guy, comments aren't helpful and don't accomplish anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I understand the work it takes to build horsepower. I'm not going to run out to auto zone to buy a spectre build it your self intake and a fartcan and claim to be making 350 horsepower. I'm going to start the build at the block and go from there. Like I said before I have built a few engines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts