ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time deciding which car to go after.

Mustang GT-Around $28K, 300 hp/315 ft-lb of torque with an estimated 0-60 in 5.2 and quarter in 13.9 @ 102. Great looking car inside and out but within a year, there will be thousands of them everywhere as there are now. Modding will be very difficult due to computerized engine and 3 valve setup and when it does become available years from now, it will be very expensive.

Evo MR-Around $32K, 276 hp/283 ft-lb of torque that does 0-60 in 4.3 and the quarter in 12.9 @ 107. Looks awesome in the graphite grey color and you will NOT see these everywhere because only 800 will be in the US. Modding will be very simple as its the same engine as the Evo 8 yet it has a bigger turbo for even more fun and mods are relativley cheap.

Which do you think is better and which one would you go for? Although monthly payments would probably be close to $100 more, I am really leaning towards the Evo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Go get the Evo :)


The Mustangs look cool... but have you ever riden in a 3 year old Ford?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
997 Posts
Evo for sure! my friend has an 04' and that thing flys man... taking turns at like 75 mph and weaving in and out of traffic at 140 with ease.... its simple.... EVO! boost sounds amazing too! you feel really connected to the car too.... no play in the handling or anything:) very solid car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,890 Posts
This is a no-brainer. You get the speed and handling of turbo AWD, and none of the domestic "quality". Also, in 5 years, your EVO will be worth reselling, while you may get half of what you paid for the Mustang, if you're lucky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,635 Posts
supermarkus said:
I don't know about your area, but here in Seattle, almost all of the Mitsu dealerships have closed up shop. I wonder who the Evo owners go to for warranty work around here?
Mitsubishi might not be around much longer as a company... Ford, however, will be around. If I were looking at an Evo right now I'd go STi instead just because you can be sure that Subaru will be around 3 years from now when you need warranty work done...

-snowcat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
Racenut3.0 said:
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Go get the Evo :)
The Mustangs look cool... but have you ever riden in a 3 year old Ford?
I couldn't agree more with what he said, you have already made up your mind...I didn't hear one positive thing in your arguement for the Mustang, but all positives for the Evo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,068 Posts
obviously the evo is the clear winner here.... but what about throwing an STI in the equation....

the thread has not become 05 STI or 05 EVO MR

personally I think the Evo MR is the better.... It has much more to offer.. just as good if not better power than STI, and handles better, and better warranty...
but since mitsu is going down the crapper, i think the STI would be a better pic.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
Racenut3.0 said:
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Go get the Evo :)


The Mustangs look cool... but have you ever riden in a 3 year old Ford?
Have you ever ridden in a 3 year old mitsu? Sorry, but I've found mitsu quality to be so crappy that in my mind they don't even qualify as a Japanese car. I bet the build quality on the newer Fords will be every bit as good as the mitsu.

Honestly, I don't know which I would choose, but here is what I would think about.

1. The mitsu will respond better to mods, but mods are always cheaper for more popular cars. I'm sure there will be plenty of cheap mods for the Mustang.

2. In my opinion the new stang looks better. The Evo looks cheap in every way. I think most will agree if you ask this question on a forum that isn't packed with AWD turbo enthusiasts.

3. The EVO will hold it's value better - especially being a limited edition. Remember to compare the long term cost of the Evo vs the Mustang. I think EVO will come out ahead

4. Mustang = lots of low end torque, but probably not much high end pull. EVO = lots of low end lag with a great top end. Depending on your uses one could be better than the other. Mustang gets my vote here for 'around town' driving.

5. Everyone has a Mustang. To me that's a bad thing, but to others it could be good.

6. The future existence of Mitsu and their warranty service are somewhat questionable at this point. Ford seems pretty stable.

7. Cops will probably hassle you more in the EVO than in the Stang. For some reason they like American Muscle (yes I am generalizing).

8. The handling of the EVO will best the stang in every way by a long shot - especially in inclement weather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
if you dont get that retrostang you need to be shot. that thing is so f'in hot.

who cares about the evo if youre going to mod the car anyway?

why quote 1/4 times? do you want a straight line car or one for a road course? because if youre going to mod it for the strip, mustangs are:

a) equipped with a higher displacement engine
b) are cheaper to mod (come on when the mods do come for this "new" engine, they will be all over the damn place)
c) can be made faster than any evo in the 1/4

my friend mike has dumped less than 5k into his stang (including exterior parts like a new front) and his '02 stang is pushing 450 ft-lbs of torque
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. @Sarcasmo-You can throw the "lots of low end lag" out the window with the MR edition, the larger turbo has solved that. Everyone who has driven it says the wait to 3,500 RPM is gone, the thing takes off instantly when you hit the gas which is why it now does 0-60 almost a whole second quicker than the Evo 8. @Weeeeeeeeee hehe. Mustang enthusiats all agree it will be at least 2 years before we start to see any mods for the 05 Stangs while there are already tons for the Evo.

Bottom line is: If I am spending $30K, I want a true performance car, not just straight line speed so that is most likely the Evo. However, initial drives of the Mustang have been positive saying that with the new suspension, its the best handling RWD next to a Corvette. So I may have to wait and drive it before I make a final desicion.

Oh and by the way...I have not included the STi because Subaru dealers around me SUCK!! All 4 I have been to treat the damn thing like its a $300,000 car made of gold and wont even let you near it :mad: Its that kind of **** that makes me think they can go screw themselves and I'll take my money elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
mball said:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. @Sarcasmo-You can throw the "lots of low end lag" out the window with the MR edition, the larger turbo has solved that. Everyone who has driven it says the wait to 3,500 RPM is gone, the thing takes off instantly when you hit the gas which is why it now does 0-60 almost a whole second quicker than the Evo 8. @Weeeeeeeeee hehe. Mustang enthusiats all agree it will be at least 2 years before we start to see any mods for the 05 Stangs while there are already tons for the Evo.

Bottom line is: If I am spending $30K, I want a true performance car, not just straight line speed so that is most likely the Evo. However, initial drives of the Mustang have been positive saying that with the new suspension, its the best handling RWD next to a Corvette. So I may have to wait and drive it before I make a final desicion.

Oh and by the way...I have not included the STi because Subaru dealers around me SUCK!! All 4 I have been to treat the damn thing like its a $300,000 car made of gold and wont even let you near it :mad: Its that kind of **** that makes me think they can go screw themselves and I'll take my money elsewhere.
why on earth would you get an sti over an evo anyhow? i mean compared to the sti, the evo corners like its on rails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,991 Posts
One thing that everyone missed...

On paper, the Evo is about $5,000 more than the GT. But, if there are only 800 MRs being made, there will probably be a very substantial markup ($3k or $4k, maybe more???).

I'm not really big on the quality of either car, honestly. I'd have to drive the GT before deciding. But the GT would ultimately be more comfortable and faster (modding with the money saved)...

Just an alternative answer to consider.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
997 Posts
Weeeeeeeeeeeeee said:
why on earth would you get an sti over an evo anyhow? i mean compared to the sti, the evo corners like its on rails.
Yeah they really do! STI does as well though but the evo is a little better i must say.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top