ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may be a rumor or something, but the dealer told me today when I picked up my 05 WRX that all the 05's have the JDM tranny, or something? I think he was just blowing smoke though.
Has anyone else heard that the 05's have different trannies?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
smoke i believe.

i thought that our 5speed is the same 5speed that is available in the rest of the world. remember that the WRX in japan is just as wimpy as our WRX. 227 HP and all


if i am wrong, sue me


luke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
Hmm, I thought the Japanese tranny gearing was a little different, but otherwise it was the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,825 Posts
well the 05 wrx has a reinforced tranny...its the same tranny as the legacy gt (250hp)....so it is a better tranny than the 02-04...thats probably what he meant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
AwdTurboWrx said:
well the 05 wrx has a reinforced tranny...its the same tranny as the legacy gt (250hp)....so it is a better tranny than the 02-04...thats probably what he meant
Damn them. I want a reinforced tranny!!! What a bunch of bastards.

-BobbyD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
AwdTurboWrx said:
well the 05 wrx has a reinforced tranny...its the same tranny as the legacy gt (250hp)....so it is a better tranny than the 02-04...thats probably what he meant
How much truth is there behind this? Any tear downs or anything to show it actually is stronger/what has changed? Gearset or the actual design? Might be one of the cheaper tranny upgrades once the cars start showing up in junk yards/part outs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,825 Posts
SERacing said:
How much truth is there behind this? Any tear downs or anything to show it actually is stronger/what has changed? Gearset or the actual design? Might be one of the cheaper tranny upgrades once the cars start showing up in junk yards/part outs.

i dont know the exact details but when people were talking about the 05 and named the differences...reinforced tranny was one of them....also when i was at subaru dealer asking about sti..guy told me that if my tranny ever goes bad i should get a legacy gt 5 speed or 05 wrx tranny in it instead because they are now reinforced

of course i dont know how strong they are...what they can handle etc etc..not enough people have done things to 05 rex or legacy gt 2 find out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,825 Posts
tarbaj said:
If the 05 Tranny IS reinforced then it is just further proof that Subaru used a subpar tranny in the 02-04s and they know it. I feel ripped off!

that's exactly what i told the salesman and he shrugged it aside...also they dont put it out for everyone to know..because you could use it against them in a warranty situation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
tarbaj said:
If the 05 Tranny IS reinforced then it is just further proof that Subaru used a subpar tranny in the 02-04s and they know it. I feel ripped off!
We should start a petition if its true, you know how they fixed the clutch shudder in the 02's...I say all previous 05's that have broken trannies get 05's (granted they are actually stronger)! Whos with me! :p
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,156 Posts
AwdTurboWrx said:
well the 05 wrx has a reinforced tranny...its the same tranny as the legacy gt (250hp)....so it is a better tranny than the 02-04...thats probably what he meant
that's a rumor. post up some support. there have been some confirmed synchro updates, but there has been no word about a reinforced case a-la the legacy.

to be honest, it's doubtful.

dR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
dark_rex said:
that's a rumor. post up some support. there have been some confirmed synchro updates, but there has been no word about a reinforced case a-la the legacy.

to be honest, it's doubtful.

dR
I wouldn't say doubtful. Subaru is a small car maker. If they improved the tranny for the Legacy it is probably being used in other vehicles as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,825 Posts
i was told at the dealer that 05 legacy and 05 wrx have the same tranny...dark rex i was trying to find a link where i had read it also..but that's a no go for now..i'll definitely post it when i find it
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,156 Posts
AwdTurboWrx said:
i was told at the dealer that 05 legacy and 05 wrx have the same tranny...dark rex i was trying to find a link where i had read it also..but that's a no go for now..i'll definitely post it when i find it
i've heard just the opposite. that the reinforced legacy tranny will not fit the WRX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,825 Posts
dark_rex said:
i've heard just the opposite. that the reinforced legacy tranny will not fit the WRX.
my friend was asking about tracking a rex and tranny problems..guy said if you have 02-04 rex..and yout tranny goes...you should ask for the ''new trannys''.......i'll try to find out for sure..i'm tempted to call them right now and ask
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,825 Posts
wrx_GuY71 said:
not to be an ass but how about all of you pick up the phone and ask the dealer... see what they say and see how many diff answers we get...
yeah good idea...i'll call them on monday and ask the service department
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
subaru.com states legacy has "reinforced transmission" and the Impreza WRX does not
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top