ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 05 wrx and I'm wanting to start with some cosmetic mods. I've been looking at projetor headlights and was wandering if the 06 matches up to an 05. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
No. The 2004 - 05 are the same. The 2006 are like the 2007.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks. Also as far as body parts are the wrx and sit interchangeable and if so where is a good place to start looking.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,217 Posts
USA cars ONLY:

2002-2003
2004-2005
2006-2007

have interchangeable body parts with some exceptions (e.g., to swap 4 dr to wagon front fenders one needs to carry over the bumper, etc.).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks GR hey also what's with the plastic guards under the front end is that stuff really nessecery?

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
The plastic guards under the engine are to protect the engine and help with airflow under the car. Subaru spent the money to R&D them, and include them with the car, so I would say yes, they are necessary.

Have you considered a projector Retrofit?
If no this is a process where projectors (HID or Halogen) are installed in the stock headlight casing.
Several members of Clubwrx have had this work done at http://shop.lightwerkz.net/

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
No I havent heard of doing that. Which way is more cost effective?
Compared to what? Buying OEM headlight parts is the only truly legal thing you can use, and OEM HID projectors were offered on the 2005 STI, if my memory is correct. These would be plug and play, but the trade off is very high cost.

On the other hand, retrofits are much cheaper if you do it yourself, have the same or better light output, but require some know how, and if you mess up, new parts can add up. Technically, retrofits are illegal, since the parts aren't certified for use in Subarus. That being said, proper retrofits use DOT certified parts from other vehicles or are universal, and are properly adjusted to all legal specifications, such as beam height.

Retrofits are not be confused with the $50 ebay "HID" kits. Those are garbage, very illegal, will blind oncoming traffic, and risk melting your wiring and housings.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
May I add that I am not 100% sure that swapping 05 STI headlights to an 05 WRX is technically legal either. At that point you are still tampering with a DOT part which could probably be considered illegal. However, it would be absolutely shocking for that to ever come to fruition and bring on a ticket or a charge. If you want proper lighting don't even waste your money on STI lights. Get a retrofit done with high quality parts and labor and spend the extra money. Your light output with good projectors in a retrofit will far exceed that of the STI lights.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
^^Agreed.

Lightwerkz offers retrofit services and components, theretrofitsource.com offers kitted retrofit components.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts