Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I was way off. I originally thought I had a catalyst inefficiency problem, but I was wrong.

P0442 is for Evaporative Emission control system malfunction (small leak detected).

This code has shown up after installing a Walbro fuel pump and STI injectors. I ran for about a week like this with no EMS. I kept rpms below 4000 and the car ran fine. Once I put my stage 4 Unichip in, the car runs great, but threw this code twice.

Apparently this usually occurs when the gas cap is not secured, or when there's a small leak in the gas tank or something like that.

Pace, I wonder if I didn't get the top of that fuel tank completely sealed when I put the fuel pump back in. Remember when we were wondering if there was something stuck under there?

I hate the idea of taking that fricking amp back off and trying to get back under there, but it looks like I'll have to.

Or, is it possible that it is something else?

·
1,263 Posts
Tronner said:
OK, I was way off. I originally thought I had a catalyst inefficiency problem, but I was wrong.

P0442 is for Evaporative Emission control system malfunction (small leak detected).

Pace, I wonder if I didn't get the top of that fuel tank completely sealed when I put the fuel pump back in. Remember when we were wondering if there was something stuck under there?
Or, is it possible that it is something else?
did you get those three tiny rubber fingers from the seal to come back through the holes on the cover?? It took me a while to get that sealed right (mind you it was dark and I only had my caving lamp on my head).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aussie,

Yes, we didn't have any trouble getting those back through, and I think we did get it sealed good enough.

Platinum,

How do I purge the evaporative canister? I will try it if you can give me some simple directions.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i was repeatedly getting that code bone stock. i guess there was some problems with the 02's having a faulty emissions control solenoid and charcoal cannister. mine was replaced under warranty, and haven't had a code since.

generally tripped under low rpm, higher load situations, like too high of a gear on an entrance ramp.

dR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.