ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an 04 wrx, i used to be a camaro guy and i have no idea on where to even start with modding a turbo car, but i want to get within the 350 hp range and later on down the road, i want to get it up to about 400.

where do i start and what routes do you guys recomend?

·
Registered
22 Posts
start with intake and exhaust then maybe after that work on turbo and FMIC(front mount intercooler) suspension some kind of engine management. thats some stuff but im new so maybe follow those in a diff order.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
start with intake and exhaust then maybe after that work on turbo and FMIC(front mount intercooler) suspension some kind of engine management. thats some stuff but im new so maybe follow those in a diff order.
No intake is useless. Start with an upipe downpipe and em of some kind. Then start moving onto turbo upgrades etc with all the fixings. This has been covered a lot just search. Also keep in mind that its pretty possible you'll blow a transmission with 400hp especially if you drive aggressively and launch it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i heard they break at about 400 hp. now how much does a new transmission cost, and how hard are they to instal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it doesnt really matter, i want to basically get a good bolt on turbo with all of the supporting mods to get me as close to 350 whp as i can get. but since im new to subarus, i dont really know where to start, or any good routes to go.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
ive gotten most of my mods off ebay. IDK what the numbers are that my 04 wrx is pushing out but i got all SR*S exhaust- header uppipe downpipe and catback for under 600 shipped and also got a new COBB access port V2 off ebay for 600 (stock turbo but not for much longer:cool:) thats the only mods i have and my suby will walk all over my 77 camaro z28 with 383 stroker pushing 425hp untill i hit about 50mph and camaro says GOODBYE... the subys have me hooked though thinking about selling camaro so i have more money for suby:)

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
This may sound dumb, but does a bov help save the life of a turbo?
No it doesnt. And many of them cause issues with the idle/running of the vehicle.

I'd try to find someone local who is a trusted tuner and talk to them about what a good setup for you might be. A 16g is a fun street turbo but you more then likely wont see those power gains.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
You will need to get new gears if you want over 300whp. 18g can get you there but a 20g def. will.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
should have bought an STi if you have those goals.
Negative.:screwy:

my EJ205 w/ TD05H-20G on 93 pump gas w/ TMIC(no methanol injection).

oh yeh, stock gears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea and pay like 500 bucks a month in insurance.....if i take the insurance money saved in 2 years from getting a wrx instead of an sti, i can build a pretty sick wrx and probably whoop a stock sti.......but neways, i found a cool downpipe with an electric cutout. is this a good part, or will i get better #s with a turboback?

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
yea and pay like 500 bucks a month in insurance.....if i take the insurance money saved in 2 years from getting a wrx instead of an sti, i can build a pretty sick wrx and probably whoop a stock sti.......but neways, i found a cool downpipe with an electric cutout. is this a good part, or will i get better #s with a turboback?
Getting a 4-6k dollar tranny installed will more then likely make up that insurance budget rather quickly.

Not to mention the turbo, suspension, and argubly interior. The brakes are rather nice also.

Great theory but very few people can actually put together a STI for a wrx-TI if you would for the price of one up front.

Cut outs are okay....I personally dont see the point of them for most people.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Negative.:screwy:

my EJ205 w/ TD05H-20G on 93 pump gas w/ TMIC(no methanol injection).

oh yeh, stock gears.
You are in the 1 percentile that has 350+ whp, on a stock tranny, on a 2.0, and a dd.

Sure it can be done, but it'd be way easier to mod an STi to reach his goals if just numbers are what he's going for.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
You are in the 1 percentile that has 350+ whp, on a stock tranny, on a 2.0, and a dd.
True. I'll be tuning for meth next week, expect another 15-25whp/wtq.

Sure it can be done, but it'd be way easier to mod an STi to reach his goals if just numbers are what he's going for.
You're still going to sink as much money into an STi to hit 350whp as you would a WRX(aside from potentially a tranny).

-turbo upgrade
-injectors
-fuelpump
-larger IC
-turboback
-tune

1 - 16 of 16 Posts