ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post but it's been a long process. I have an automatic '04 WRX and the only mods are a short ram intake and exhaust. It has been stalling randomly for a good while now and does not throw a CEL. It will stall under almost any circumstance, whether it be idle, under power, or at 50 mph with cruise set. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, idle air control valve, and the spark plugs to no avail. I also cleaned the MAF although it is fairly new. I then took it to a shop which said they were unable to replicate the stalling after 3 weeks. They did perform a combustion test and a boost test and both were fine. It did throw a code for a misfire on cylinder 3 so they replaced the coil pack on that cylinder and sent me on my way, however it stalled again leaving the shop and I decided they won't get any more of my time or money. Since then I have replaced the remaining coil packs, the crankshaft position sensor, and cleaned the throttle body as well as performed the idle relearn procedure although my understanding is it does not apply to the 04 model. Now I am at a loss and I hope someone might have a suggestion for me. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, when it does stall it doesn't always die entirely but will always start fine and drive fine after sitting for a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Man that really sounds like a crank sensor. Check the wiring to it from its origin.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,104 Posts
Symptoms match fuel pressure regulator also. I'd check crank and cam angle sensors plus the wiring since you've already replaced one (if memory serves they are two different implementations of the same physical part, so you can even swap one for the other -- I THINK, I'm not sure, it was many beers ago last I looked).

Also not to be too silly but are you extra super sure the battery terminals are secure on both ends for both main leads?

·
29,104 Posts
OK. Without electrocuting yourself (it'll absolutely ruin your hair in addition to potentially killing you) also check the main connection to the alternator. There's a secondary little harness thingy there that runs by the red cap on the top alternator connection bolt and mine was fried.

The FPR might act goofy before giving you a bona fide CEL and the car will really not want to run or rev at times. The vacuum reference ought to be OK because that would have given you a PO171 so it may be the regulator itself not its connection.

Are you mapped for the intake and the exhaust, incidentally?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will check that connection first thing tomorrow. As far as I'm aware it is not mapped for either and is using the stock tune. It had both mods when I bought it and the previous owner didn't mention it being tuned for them. While I do intend to get an access port and get it tuned for those mods, I don't suspect that's the culprit because I had driven it that way for a year and a half prior with no issues. Stranger things have happened though so I'm definitely open to any suggestions.

·
29,104 Posts
If the exhaust is a catback, don't worry about it. If it's a turbo back and/or the downpipe has been altered, you need a new map.

I'd dump the intake either way.

With no way of logging data it is not substantiated to say the car has had no issues. Frankly I'd worry a bit and get it sorted.

But, if you have a turboback, how come you don't have a CEL for the O2 sensor?! Either you don't have a turboback or you have a map.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SD_GR thank you for the input! I will investigate the map further and tbh I'm not sure if it's turbo back or cat back so I will verify that as well. Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts