ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this kid at my school just got a brand new 330Ci with Performance package, meaning that its got 235 horses,quicker acceleration, short-throw 6-speed manual, more responsive handling, deeper engine growl, and more. Anyway, he wants to race me. his car is already broken in, and broken( he almost totalled it but got it repaired a few weeks later).
I have a stock 04 WRX wagon with the short shifter among other factory options. So, he wants to race me and says he will kill me. Can I beat him? I dont know how to launch very well. I just rev to like 2-3k and slip the clutch. I have only done this once in my car, but i have only tried once. Can I beat him without doing this?
Also, another kid wants to race me as well. He has a 95 Audi S4. Can i beat him too?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
persianpunisher said:
Okay, so this kid at my school just got a brand new 330Ci with Performance package, meaning that its got 235 horses,quicker acceleration, short-throw 6-speed manual, more responsive handling, deeper engine growl, and more. Anyway, he wants to race me. his car is already broken in, and broken( he almost totalled it but got it repaired a few weeks later).
I have a stock 04 WRX wagon with the short shifter among other factory options. So, he wants to race me and says he will kill me. Can I beat him? I dont know how to launch very well. I just rev to like 2-3k and slip the clutch. I have only done this once in my car, but i have only tried once. Can I beat him without doing this?
Also, another kid wants to race me as well. He has a 95 Audi S4. Can i beat him too?
you will lose from a roll aginst the 330ci. You can hold him off from a stop for a while doing the launch, but it isn't something I like to do also... You need mods:)

·
Registered
878 Posts
well its more of a drivers race but your odds of winning against the 330 ci are slim but you should win against that audi and its not an s4 they didnt make a4s or s4 back then the predecessor to the a4 was the 80. THe s6 is one: old, and two a heavy pig you should have no problems with him.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
if you are racing from a stop against that BMW, a 2-3k slip of the clutch may not be enough. Try revving your engine between 4-5k and when you are revving up around 4.5, slip the clutch and put the petal to the metal. Practice makes perfect:)

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
persianpunisher said:
330ci with performance package and a good driver will get anywhere from 14.2-14.6
For this reason, I am going to say that you may very well lose this one. The only reason being that you are not that good at launching. A 2-3k slip isnt going to cut it against this car. Work on reving upto about 4.5k and quickly slipping. if you can get that down, you have a pretty good chance of running right next to him.
but dont even try from a roll. you will only embarass yourself.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
no...

he has MORE horsepower... and NO TURBO LAG.. N/A is the way to go... always.

you DO have AWD, and if you launch really hard it'd be close... but with no launch, he'd kill you... pretty bad.

i wouldnt be suprised if he pulled like 1-2 cars and kept it... and it'd get worse at higher speeds, cause your turbo doesnt have any high end.

so ya.

you're gonna need some modding... Accessport would definatly help... up / downpipe. I woundnt mod my car just to beat someoen though.. that seems pretty dumb.. but ya

have fun and be safe :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
amukaoen said:
no...

he has MORE horsepower... and NO TURBO LAG.. N/A is the way to go... always.

you DO have AWD, and if you launch really hard it'd be close... but with no launch, he'd kill you... pretty bad.

i wouldnt be suprised if he pulled like 1-2 cars and kept it... and it'd get worse at higher speeds, cause your turbo doesnt have any high end.

so ya.

you're gonna need some modding... Accessport would definatly help... up / downpipe. I woundnt mod my car just to beat someoen though.. that seems pretty dumb.. but ya

have fun and be safe :D
Oh no, I plan on modding my car anyway. I do plan to do the AP and then a TBE and thats about it. Then do you think I can beat him? How about that S4 that I mentioned, can I beat him??

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
I don't know how much faster a 330 would be from a roll than a WRX... I figured they both trapped around 94-95mph stock if well driven.

·
Registered
823 Posts
1. Only race from a stop.

2. Practice your launch @ about 4k rpm.

3. Mods wouldn't hurt.

Go get 'em and up-date!

T.J.

P.S. If you can get that perfect launch where the front tires scratch just a little, I think you would be surprised how well you do. The BMW would need a damn good driver.

·
Registered
841 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
like everyone said, your chance is very slim against that bimmer. if you must race him, race only from a stop. you might hold your ground with an aggressive launch, but not for long. you also have a wagon wrx that weighs a bit more than a sedan. get an upipe and turboback and race from a dig.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Uhhh the 330CI doesn't run 14.2 where did you find that crazy number? My friend has one and i have a stock 2005 WRX and his brother also has a WRX and he says the WRX is alot faster than his car. The 330CI vs the WRX from a roll would be a good race with the 330CI probably edging it out, from a stop the WRX would crush a 330CI if propery launched. It is possibly to run a 14.1 with a stock wrx if you are a great driver, its not possibly to run a 14.1 with a 330CI, maybe a 14.6 but not a 14.1
The numbers i have found are [email protected] for the 2004-2005 330CI coupe. Sure thats 10 less hp but 10hp will give you around 1/10 so you are talking [email protected] maybe, that means the 330CI is going to be close even from a roll the WRX may win.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thats an old test. And plus that was a four door and its heavier. BMW now has a performance package on the 3.0 so its alot faster then the one tested with the S4 and WRX

Check this out and go to the second page for performance numbers (keep in mind the 4 door is heavier then the coupe edmunds says its 3285 for the coupe vs 3370 for the four door)

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=6978&page_number=1

Displacement: 182 cu in, 2979cc
Power (SAE net): 235 bhp @ 5900 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 222 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 107.3 in
Length/width/height: 176.0/68.5/55.1 in
Curb weight: 3370 lb
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 15.3 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.4 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.3 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 152 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 158 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g
EPA fuel economy, city driving: 21 mpg
C/D-observed fuel economy: 20 mDpg

Id say it be pretty hard to beat with a stock wrx unless hes a crappy driver.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Wow that thing is quicker than I thought. Should be a pretty close race in every respect if both cars are driven well. I guess the 330ci should edge out the Rex by a little bit from a roll.

I'm just wondering how they got a 5.6s 0-60mph time in the Bimmer. :confused1

·
Registered
706 Posts
audirs6 said:
Thats an old test. And plus that was a four door and its heavier. BMW now has a performance package on the 3.0 so its alot faster then the one tested with the S4 and WRX

Check this out and go to the second page for performance numbers (keep in mind the 4 door is heavier then the coupe edmunds says its 3285 for the coupe vs 3370 for the four door)

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=6978&page_number=1

Displacement: 182 cu in, 2979cc
Power (SAE net): 235 bhp @ 5900 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 222 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 107.3 in
Length/width/height: 176.0/68.5/55.1 in
Curb weight: 3370 lb
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 15.3 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.4 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.3 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 152 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 158 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g
EPA fuel economy, city driving: 21 mpg
C/D-observed fuel economy: 20 mDpg

Id say it be pretty hard to beat with a stock wrx unless hes a crappy driver.
Uh once again how do you figure it would be hard to beat with a stock wrx? Those are the absolute best numbers i have seen for any 330CI and its still 2/10 slower then the best numbers i have seen for a WRX so i would think it would be hard for the 330 CI to beat the WRX from a stop unless the WRX is a crappy driver and pretty even from a roll. And why is a 4door nearly 100 pounds more? As for the WRX vs S4 vs 330XI that may have been an old test but that was a 330XI which does the 1/4 a few 10ths faster than the 300CI according to past tests.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WEll, would launching my WRX STOCK significantly hurt my tranny? I mean, the kid isnt that good of a driver.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
persianpunisher said:
WEll, would launching my WRX STOCK significantly hurt my tranny? I mean, the kid isnt that good of a driver.
dude just race and find out then. if you worried about hurting your poor wrx by launching, then why bother to race in the first place?

·
Registered
243 Posts
elohdaeh78 said:
Uh once again how do you figure it would be hard to beat with a stock wrx? Those are the absolute best numbers i have seen for any 330CI and its still 2/10 slower then the best numbers i have seen for a WRX so i would think it would be hard for the 330 CI to beat the WRX from a stop unless the WRX is a crappy driver and pretty even from a roll. And why is a 4door nearly 100 pounds more? As for the WRX vs S4 vs 330XI that may have been an old test but that was a 330XI which does the 1/4 a few 10ths faster than the 300CI according to past tests.
there is not too many test with the performance package that is not the best. again that isnt a normal 330 if there were othe tests i am shure some magz would get better . I still think that if you take both cars are similar weight and hp ( i personnaly think the wrx is a little overrated ) it should be good but consedring i think that the bmw has a little more power and has a 6 speed its probably faster.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts