Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 09 wrx that I bought a couple years ago. Blew up the motor (rod knock) 2 months of driving it. I currently have an 04 STi motor complete with ECU that I have in my garage, but was wondering if it would be easier in the long run to get an 09 STi motor instead, since I want my car to last. I’m not really too educated about the subject so I really need to some help. I’m wondering what my best option would be, also I think it’s important to include that I had Cobb tuning accessories that are still good on my blown up motor ( It was an 08 ej25 ) and the access port. I want my car to be alive for the longest time but also have power when needed. I just really need some help here. What all would I need if I choose the 09 STi motor? What’s my smartest option, and what are some costs I might run into? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
You’ll have to have a tune specifically for the mods on either engine. The wrx and sti are different enough the tunes do not translate.

I would pick the newest engine or with the lowest mileage or purchase a brand new short block from Subaru for about 2k. It’s really hard to just estimate the health of an engine by looking at it laying on the floor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts