Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between the two and am curious what everyone has to say about reliability, looks, mods, and other stuff.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,725 Posts
It is unlikely you will find a 05 STi that has been maintained with authentic parts.

Since you asked about mods, the answer is: No.

If you can find a car with a full service history and absolutely no modifications (ever) then I'd buy the most recent car you can afford.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder with an important exception: Me. I look awesome. For the car, nobody will care all that much.

Get the newest car with the most paperwork and zero mods.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Unless i knew without doubt the history of a 14 year old hoonbox i wouldn't even consider it. I've got one old wrx I've got my eye on, but i doubt strongly the owner will ever come up off of it. If he does, then it's more of a trophy and a driveway ornament.

Either way, they are money pits

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just bought a 06 STI and previously owned a 11 WRX. Equally fast on the street - WRX was more refined and I had more confidence that it wasn’t going to break. Probably psychological but I’m happier with the STI because it is “top of the line” and the transmission freela nicer. Neither car is currrently (or ever was to my knowledge) significantly modified. View attachment 4F5BA495-8898-4F70-AD37-F142784C7420.jpeg

Attachments

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
The common sense answer is to, as stated, buy the most recent car that you can afford.
That said...sometimes there are certain cars that are subjectively "special". The '04-'05 STi was a GD (so awesome to me, they really just don't make raw cars like that, anymore, that I've seen), had that unequal-length headers boxer rumble, etc. Finding one that hasn't been thrashed is, of course, a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts