Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at a party last night, when a friend of mine came up to me and my friend and told us a guy we all know with a 2003 Mustang GT claims he can whipe the floor with me in my SRT-4, and my buddies WRX.

Supposebly, he has full exhaust. Headers-back. Assuming he has a really good exhaust set-up, how much power do you think he's making? And what 1/4-mile times so you estimate?

My mods (03 SRT-4) are Stage 1, AGP WGA, TurboSmart MBC (17 PSI). My friend's WRX has a CAI, RFL, and Turbo XS Stealth-back 3" exhaust.

Just guessing, what do you people think would be the outcome? The Mustang hot-head wants to race both of us. I don't know how much full exhaust gives a Mustang, but I estimate a good amount. Prolly about 25 whp right?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would guess 15-20 rwhp on an otherwise stock GT, but results vary. I got 20 rwhp with just an X-pipe, but that's with a blower.

It will be a driver's race. The outcome will be determined by reaction time, and who could launch more effectively.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Stock for stock is a drivers race. If he runs DR's and those cars can move especially with headers and full exhaust. Still up in the air. get a dood launch.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I got about 10 rwhp when I put an x-pipe on my '00 GT, but it was N/A. It already had a flowmaster axle back when I bought it, so I can't tell you if the butt dyno noticed anything then. Like everyone said above, get a good launch and you can win it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wait a minute here, I've never gotten to race a GT but I read all these threads about people killing them left and right.
I know an SRT-4 will kick most WRX butts and hang with an STi, so why is this a drivers race all of a sudden?

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
I think it's a drivers race because alot of mustang people replied. I would say that the SRT-4 would walk a bolt on SN-95 any day of the week on the street. Odds are he probaly doesnt have headers (trust me there a pain on the mod motors) and just said full exhaust meaning cat back. Which is nothing at all. I've seen a SRT-4 stage one walk a 99 cobra with exhaust...let alone a gt.

On a side note...isnt everything really a drivers race?

·
Registered
402 Posts
PKer said:
Wait a minute here, I've never gotten to race a GT but I read all these threads about people killing them left and right.
I know an SRT-4 will kick most WRX butts and hang with an STi, so why is this a drivers race all of a sudden?
Because all the cars have been modded a little, maybe the SRT more than the other two. If you take a stock WRX and stock GT, which are pretty much even, and add 30hp to each, you still have a drivers race.

·
Registered
21,178 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I kept even, pulled a little on a 4.6L gt this weekend from a roll, but it was about -5 degrees out. He wouldn't race me from a dig, probably didn't want to get embarased infront of his girlfriend.:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
If it said 4.6L on the side, you had a run in with a high 14 second mustang. Ive waxed those, but yea the mustang will definetly creep on the wrx. His intake hurts him, as well as the atmospheric venting BOV... Engine management and boost, and youve got yourself a match. high 13's for that stang. stage II wrx = high 13's. As for the neon, youll eat up the GT if your boosted. dont let him get too far ahead, make sure you warm up your tires... Youll need to hook in 2nd gear.

Hell be be speechless when he runs the neon, and after he sees the wrx launch, hell gain respect for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know the older mustang 4.6's arent that fast, only 220 hp, i've beaten those in my RSX. the new mustang GT's arent bad, prob just a driver's race. but with AWD you could take him to 60

·
Registered
39 Posts
to give you an idea, on a 2001 cobra a magnaflow system which consists of catted-x pipe and magnaflow catback has seen gains of up to 26.6 rwhp. I have no idea on the gt though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
WRX and SRT4 should make the Mustang hot-head cry...if they know how to drive. Although people seem to think "60" is a magic number, the race doesn't end there and the Mustang won't magically fly by. Launch the WRX well and it should win. Launch the SRT4 well and it should really win. Although I have an STi, I've raced new Mustang GT's with header, full exhaust, CAI and underdrive pulley (or so they said) and destroyed them from a stop and a roll.

Have fun and let us know if his crying sounds like a small child's.

RN

1 - 15 of 15 Posts