ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 03 wrx wagon and would like to set it up for max performance on the street. I dont need alot of hp but what ever i can get out of it withought doing a sti swap would be nice. also need tips on susspention and brakes.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
em and a tbe is a good place to start.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Rex4life said:
I just bought a 03 wrx wagon and would like to set it up for max performance on the street. I dont need alot of hp but what ever i can get out of it withought doing a sti swap would be nice. also need tips on susspention and brakes.
Power: As other people have said, StageII (TBE+EM - a protune wouldn't hurt either)
Suspension: Coilovers (springs if $$ is issue) and sway bars
Brakes: Hawk HPS + SS brake lines + brake fluid

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good help

Wow that helps alot guys! thanks! About the car though. It is total stock. I am also torn about just droping the 2.5 v7 in this with the v8 heads and then the sti drivetrain and v7 gears. BUT i cant find a local shop here in VA beach to work on it for me since i dont think i could do it myself. :)

But!!! is there a huge diff from 2.0 to 2.5? if so how much more would it cost me? i have about 8k to get this in shape asap.

·
Registered
681 Posts
well that "swap" sure wont be ASAP, and for labor and parts im not sure you could get that done for less than 8k. Maybe...depends on how much you find things for i suppose.

Differences between the 2.5 an 2.0? Easier to achieve high torque levels, 25% more displacement never hurt anyone. Faster spool times on turbos that would normally have bad lag from the 2.0. Stronger internals/block i believe.

There are probably more than that, but i think you get the idea. You'll have more head room to go up in power with the 2.5 over the 2.0, and you have the option to run a "smaller" turbo like the VF34 and have crazy fast spool times.

What will be the role of this car? your daily? weekend? track only?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Wow that helps alot guys! thanks! About the car though. It is total stock. I am also torn about just droping the 2.5 v7 in this with the v8 heads and then the sti drivetrain and v7 gears. BUT i cant find a local shop here in VA beach to work on it for me since i dont think i could do it myself. :)

But!!! is there a huge diff from 2.0 to 2.5? if so how much more would it cost me? i have about 8k to get this in shape asap.
Leave the engine alone. Put "Protune" at the top of your list and start looking for a tuner now while you research. Read the link in my sig for bugeye owners. 8k is enough to do a turbo upgrade, and a little bit of needed upgrades to the braking(ss lines, slotted rotors, hawk pads, high temp fluid) and suspension(coilovers, bars and endlinks). You should also consider the upgrades that improve drivability(crank pulley, uppipe, downpipe, header, engine/trans mount, dead pedal, short shifter/bushings, tgv delete, p&p work). Bear in mind with the 5speed trans you will need to be nice and smooth with it, making power while in gear, not on the transition. I broke my stock 5-speed and replaced it with an STI 6-speed. The Swap costs roughly 3-7k depending on how you do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
type of car

besides my truck this is my only car. i am 20 male no kids and live at work. so if it is in the shop for some time its not a big deal. but i do put alot of miles on it. after i finish this car i will probly end up buying a sti and going all out and track/street with that only. just need to learn more about wrxs/sti.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts