Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Yesterday I purchased my first car, a 03 WRX the engine came rebulilt with a few aftermarket parts. After driving it home i noticed white smoke coming from my hood upon further inspection the temp guage was faulty and had over heated my engine on the highway due to lack of coolant. after several days trying to asses the damage i learned that i completly destroyed my engine. Now I found a used WRX engine for $1850 with 114,000 miles on it but i want to eventually do a full STI swap on the car so is it best to get another WRX engine or should i look for an STI engine and swap that since i need to do it anyway and if so what year should i look for ? Thank you in advance.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
The STI motor is not a direct swap. You will need a new harness and new ECU unless you strip and build all components from the WRX longblock to the STI longblock and plug AVCS journals. Factor in the additional $$ for tuning and engine management.

What exactly happened to the OEM engine? Did you do a leakdown test?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Might as well save the money on a double swap and just go ahead and do the STI swap now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
It is far more economically viable to buy a used STI than try to swap STI parts into a WRX.

Also, since this is your first car, I'm going to guess that you are quite young and have found the dangers of purchasing an old performance car. Don't further dig yourself into a financial ditch.

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
You only need one post per topic.

I can't help you with the specifics sadly. However from what I've read in my curiosity it would be quite an undertaking for someone without solid understanding of what he is doing, and or deep pockets. I wish you luck in your endeavors. I would maybe suggest just a new shortblock and having the heads cleaned and machined.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no I'm 22 years old i live in NY so we don't need cars but i got into racing so i wanted to build up my own car, The first engine i think blew a Head gasket because there's knocking in the engine And there is white smoke coming out the exhaust. The engine is already rebuilt So I don't think it makes any sense to rebuild engine again, I recently found a JDM HEAD & BLOCK for 900. Also I didn't do a leakdown test yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I overheated it, now it knocks and smokes out the hood and lots of smoke out the exhaust. also a loss of power it literlly shuts off if i try to drive.

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
Just because it's jdm doesn't mean it's good. Tons of total bunk out there. Built usdm engines are always good options if you find a competent shop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Prime motoring in NJ. Shouldn't be too far from you depending where you are at in NY.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts