ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm taking this into another topic.

First, I know the driver,conditions,factory defects, and a whole plethora of variables affect the outcome. That's not the point of this topic though.

Initially the way both cars are built and the balls they own, which car (100% stock and no lemons) has the potential to achieve the lower time in the 1/4 mile ?

a) 2003 Cobra

b) STi

:wiggles:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
cobra

on a perfect day with a perfect pro driver went 12.4

sorry no link to back it up though. but i have read it.

·
6,298 Posts
Same driver, same conditions, 03 Cobra. Even with our good launch, the power to weight ratio is just a bit to good to be beat. About 10.7 for STi and 9.4 for Cobra. We'd need about another 40 true HP to match that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup, Cobra! It makes me sick how fast they are stock and then somebody that can't even drive changes the pulley and beats the living crap out of just about everyone! BTW, has anyone seen the carnage a Cobra with the Kenne Bell upgrade can do? It's not a pretty sight... 700hp+ on the street that is insane!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FastD said:
Yup, Cobra! It makes me sick how fast they are stock and then somebody that can't even drive changes the pulley and beats the living crap out of just about everyone! BTW, has anyone seen the carnage a Cobra with the Kenne Bell upgrade can do? It's not a pretty sight... 700hp+ on the street that is insane!
That tops the Viper :eek:

700hp+ ? Now that has some potential!!
Damn! Talk about being bit by a venomous snake ;)
Don't forget a live axle!

The best time I've seen for both cars at the track (so far)

03 Cobra 12.62 STi 13.10

Both cars stock running stock tires also. The track conditions
were the same.

With average drivers or driver mishaps (shift error, launching in reverse.. haha.. no..)
worst time i've seen for Cobra 13.63
STi 13.97

i've seen worse, but was messed up so bad...
just coasted down the 1/4...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
More than 2X Displacement of WRX
2X the number of cylinders of WRX
and Forced induction too!

But does it have the beauty of all wheel drive? I think not!!
:D

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
dude, for straight line power, you're gonna want to be in a cobra.

for the money, there are few better options. with some easy bolt on upgrades (pully, exhaust drag radials etc.) you're in a veritable monster.

dR

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Cobra, as has been said and agreed upon, without question. Then again, this post is simply a person not at all understanding what is being said as it relates to the original topic, blowing it out of proportion to try and make someone look silly, looking like an ass the whole time and not realizing it because they didn't get it to begin with. :rolleyes:

Pay attention to context and useless threads won't have to be made.

RN

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Pay attention to context and useless threads won't have to be made.

RN [/B][/QUOTE]

You said it not me :tongue:

Oh I remember you, you created a MOD thread on removing the BOV, then seal it all up; claiming that it gave you great pressure spikes during upshifts ;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
A

Some turbo 03 Cobras are making 1000 hp. I read and saw a video of a 925 RWHP turbo 03 Cobra. Those cars are insane.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
YBNormal07 said:
Same driver, same conditions, 03 Cobra. Even with our good launch, the power to weight ratio is just a bit to good to be beat. About 10.7 for STi and 9.4 for Cobra. We'd need about another 40 true HP to match that.

The Cobra definately has an advantage in a 1/4 mile race, but you can't strickly go by power to weight.
Yes, power to weight is a very important variable, but so is available traction.
An STi has the capablilities of beating cars with a much better power to weight ratios due to its great launching abilities.
(1.6x sec 60' times with a good driver)
Just like what happened in the Hot Rod Mag testing. They couldn't get the Cobra to hook up at all (2.2 sec 60' times). They also only pulled 1.80 sec 60' times in the STi.( plenty of room for improvement in both cars).
Thats .4 tenths advantage off the line for the STi.

My personally experience against 03 Cobras is similar. I get a huge advantange on them off the line. If the Cobra is stock he will most likely not catch me in a 1/4 mile race. It took a modded Cobra (trap speed 116mph) until 3/4 track to catch me.
So the traction advantage of the STi is very important.

Saying that, I'm still in agreement that a stock 03 Cobra has an advantage over a stock STi in a 1/4 mile race, just not when I'm behind the wheel.:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saying that, I'm still in agreement that a stock 03 Cobra has an advantage over a stock STi in a 1/4 mile race, just not when I'm behind the wheel.:D [/B][/QUOTE]

What was your best time stock ?

I see 12.8, but with mods...

I've seen 12.6s from stock 03+ Cobras

Like I said, the 03+ Cobra has the inherent ability to
achieve quicker 1/4 mile times then the STi. If you can could squeeze every last ounce out of both cars (stock), with the same pro driver, under the same conditions, bringing the best out of what each vehicle is maximally capable of doing;
the Cobra will be the victor in the end

Now what about from a roll (going 40 mph then punching it to 120 mph) ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
NightShifter said:
Now what about from a roll (going 40 mph then punching it to 120 mph) ?
Having had a heavily modded Evo for over a year and now driving a Roush 3, I think I can answer this easily, once again the Cobra would win. More all around power and a HELL of alot more torque, thats where the big V8's really shine. Off the line, the STi and Evo have the advantage but from 40 mph rolls, the V8's kill. I have never timed it but I have merged on to a freeway many times from about 35-40 and punched it in the Evo for fun. I had my first chance to do it earlier today with the Roush and 100 mph came in a hurry I can tell you that.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
NightShifter said:
Saying that, I'm still in agreement that a stock 03 Cobra has an advantage over a stock STi in a 1/4 mile race, just not when I'm behind the wheel.:D
What was your best time stock ?

I see 12.8, but with mods...

I've seen 12.6s from stock 03+ Cobras

Like I said, the 03+ Cobra has the inherent ability to
achieve quicker 1/4 mile times then the STi. If you can could squeeze every last ounce out of both cars (stock), with the same pro driver, under the same conditions, bringing the best out of what each vehicle is maximally capable of doing;
the Cobra will be the victor in the end

Now what about from a roll (going 40 mph then punching it to 120 mph) ? [/B][/QUOTE]

I never ran my STi bone stock. I did run 13.0 @ 104 mph with just exhaust mods - everything else stock. I ran a few 03 Cobra's with this setup and won a few and lost a few. Also every 03 Cobra that I have ever raced was running either drag radials or slicks. I've yet to run one that is 100% bone stock.

I did race an 03 Cobra from a 20mph roll when I was stock. We ran dead even up to about 85mph, after that he walked away from me.

We all know a stockish STi is no match for an 03 Cobra at speeds over 90mph or so.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Saying that, I'm still in agreement that a stock 03 Cobra has an advantage over a stock STi in a 1/4 mile race, just not when I'm behind the wheel.
I wish I lived in florida, so that I could race you. I ran a 12.7 @ 112 MPH in my brothers and my Cobra. He is a better driver and got a 12.48 @ 111 MPH. I got a 1.91 60 ft time and he got a 1.80. After the suspenssion modifications he was getting 1.7 60 ft times on street rubber.

·
Registered
144 Posts
atco, NJ i saw silver 03 cobra on stock tires run 12.5 and his firend in black 03 cobra run 12.3 on street tires..these things were sick

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Drod said:
I wish I lived in florida, so that I could race you. I ran a 12.7 @ 112 MPH in my brothers and my Cobra. He is a better driver and got a 12.48 @ 111 MPH. I got a 1.91 60 ft time and he got a 1.80. After the suspenssion modifications he was getting 1.7 60 ft times on street rubber.

Did you see the big grin after that statement. I seem to get real luck racing fast cars. I've beaten every Z06 Vette I have lined up against. That right there shows how lucky I am. I also like to think my driving has something to do with it.

If you were in my area, I would definately give it a go. I love to race, win or lose. I'm sure it would be a good race. I should be good for mid 12s @ 108 mph or so. I ran my 12.8 without any engine management and running less boost. So mid 12s seem realistic.

The problem is finding bone stock Cobras at the track. Every Cobra I've run into at the track is running at the very least drag radials or slicks. The last time I went to the track, there were 2, 03 Cobras there and both were modded (chip, pully, exhaust, drag radials, etc). I raced one of them (as mentioned in an earlier post). I believe he ran somewhere in the low 12s @ 116 to my 12.8 @ 105.
So I know what its like to see a Cobra go blowing by at 3/4 track.
:eek:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts