ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe not slow hehe....

I was cruising up the turnpike minding my business when I happen to drive up behind an '03 cobra. I've never really gotten too good of a look at one in real life, so I was kinda looking over at it... he was checking my car out too, so we gave each other the tunmbs up and kept driving. We were kinding goading each other on, wishing we had some open road. We approach the toll plaza and we both have ezpass. The cobra gets to an open ez pass lane while i'm in the lane next to him behind some slow poke. So what does the cobra do?? He stops right in the toll plaza and waits for me. I pull into the plaza, stop even with him, give him the nod, and we're off!! He pulls slightly ahead in first until I hit boost and then I inched just past him. I hit second and pull ahead a car length. By the end of third I'm a good 4-5 cars in front of him at least. I slow down and he catches up.... he hangs his head a little bit, gives me a big thumbs up and we keep driving. God those things sound great. Nothing like the roar of a V8 behind you to make you feel warm and fuzzy!

·
Registered
80 Posts
StoplightWarrior said:
good kill but you sure it wasn't an 01?? Those are still fairly quick (320hp)
did ya miss his sig? "Steve: 341whp, 302wft-lbs @ 20psi" A stock late model cobra puts about 345-355 to the ground and weighs in at a whopping 3665lbs(3780 for the drop top) compared to a hair over 3000 for the rex. His race makes perfect sense.

Good kill :) Yeah I love how they sound, except one of my neighbors has one and he leaves for work at 5am, I don't like to wake up untiil 7:30ish :mad: :tongue:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think the subject should be changed to, "Midknight's fast", I mean, its not really in your league if it was just stock.

The whine of the charger on those things is phenominal. I love it.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
illusion said:
did ya miss his sig? "Steve: 341whp, 302wft-lbs @ 20psi" A stock late model cobra puts about 345-355 to the ground and weighs in at a whopping 3665lbs(3780 for the drop top) compared to a hair over 3000 for the rex. His race makes perfect sense.

Good kill :) Yeah I love how they sound, except one of my neighbors has one and he leaves for work at 5am, I don't like to wake up untiil 7:30ish :mad: :tongue:
More like 370ish rwhp...and to put 4-5 lengths on it...hmmm...

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
StoplightWarrior said:
More like 370ish rwhp...and to put 4-5 lengths on it...hmmm...
I knew someone would come on the thread and start doubting... which is fine. It really doesn't matter to me what you think is or isn't possible. It happened, I had fun, the other guy had fun. It definitely wasn't an '01. The whine of the blower was unmistakeable. Honestly, I was suprised I pulled that much on him, but there are these two things about these two cars that can really affect the outcome... the drivers!

BTW - I have no illusions about the fact that if he were modded the outcome would have been very different.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
MidKnight said:
I knew someone would come on the thread and start doubting... which is fine. It really doesn't matter to me what you think is or isn't possible. It happened, I had fun, the other guy had fun. It definitely wasn't an '01. The whine of the blower was unmistakeable. Honestly, I was suprised I pulled that much on him, but there are these two things about these two cars that can really affect the outcome... the drivers!

BTW - I have no illusions about the fact that if he were modded the outcome would have been very different.
I'm not calling BS, I believe it happened, it just seems out of the ordinary for a car with 341whp to pull THAT much on a car with more rwhp...especially when the weight difference is only about 4-600lbs.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Only 600lbs? Tell me you didn't just say that... are you secretly a german auto engineer by chance?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Ike said:
Only 600lbs? Tell me you didn't just say that... are you secretly a german auto engineer by chance?
/slaps forehead...curb weight on an 03 cobra is 3600lbs...last time I checked, WRX's weighed just over 3k...

·
Registered
80 Posts
my neighbor's 04 bone stock cobra(not a single mod) with about 1500 miles on it dyno'd at 351 to the ground around 70°F and about 40% humidity on a mustang dyno, although mustang dyno's usually read a tad low it hangs with other dyno's i'm finding around the net.

Here's a 2003 on a dynojet peak was 355.7 @ 6530 rpms

600lbs is a HELL of a lot of weight. that's about 6 tenths in the quarter and 2-3mph\

One has a full tank the other has 1/4? one driver weight 150 the other weighs 250, there's so many factors in street racing it's not even funny.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Nice kill...

Your are now apart of the elite club of wrx's that have beaten cobras....

I belive you because I did the same thing on 25 psi...Only I was still pulling;) ....Same whp but just a bit more tq:D

great kill.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
illusion said:

One has a full tank the other has 1/4? one driver weight 150 the other weighs 250, there's so many factors in street racing it's not even funny.
exactly, which is why I'm not calling BS on this kill...I just don't want people thinking a modded wrx can always beat an 03 cobra because if driven right, they're FAST. Also, most of the people I know who own them have done at least a couple mods and are dyno'ing 400rwhp+ with ease :eek: They're sweet cars

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
StoplightWarrior said:
exactly, which is why I'm not calling BS on this kill...I just don't want people thinking a modded wrx can always beat an 03 cobra because if driven right, they're FAST. Also, most of the people I know who own them have done at least a couple mods and are dyno'ing 400rwhp+ with ease :eek: They're sweet cars
I don't think most people think a modded wrx can always beat an '03 cobra. There are some that can... and the cobra's they beat are probably stock like the one I raced. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that a blown 4-banger can keep up with a blown V8 is an accomplishment to be proud of. But I don't think there's anyone who believes that the 4-cyl has the same potential as the V8. Whereas my car is nearing it's limits in terms of motor and power, his is just getting warmed up! That's a crazy thought to me....

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
MidKnight said:
I don't think most people think a modded wrx can always beat an '03 cobra. There are some that can... and the cobra's they beat are probably stock like the one I raced. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that a blown 4-banger can keep up with a blown V8 is an accomplishment to be proud of. But I don't think there's anyone who believes that the 4-cyl has the same potential as the V8. Whereas my car is nearing it's limits in terms of motor and power, his is just getting warmed up! That's a crazy thought to me....
yea, those cars are insane. If I could afford the payments on one, I'd have it. :eek: 450rwhp with bolt on's and no change in driveablity is awesome. :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts