ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i am an owner of 2002 wrx sedan, iwe got car about 7 month ago.
It had tein s-tech springs with kyb-gr2 strut combo. Handling was very bad, and ride was stiff and uncomfortable.
3 month ago i installed stock 07 WRX springs just to improve my ride. Now handling still bad and ride is bouncy, not controlable over small bumps and potholes. It feels like i'm driving just on springs.
I'm just wondering if i buy tociko d-specs or kyb agr adjustable struts what else i may need.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
S-Techs are known to be VERY bad for stock, or near stock in the case of the GR2s, struts. It's very likely the GR2's are just blown. Investment in some quality struts and springs, D-specs and some RCE springs is what I would recommend, will go a long way.

But mos important is what your budget is, and what you want out of the car.

You can do some pretty simple checks to see if the struts are bad.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,221 Posts
The GR2s have probably failed due to the springs, yes. Replace them and replace the springs, either with correct Subaru springs or something else better than the Teins.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
S-Techs are known to be VERY bad for stock, or near stock in the case of the GR2s, struts. It's very likely the GR2's are just blown. Investment in some quality struts and springs, D-specs and some RCE springs is what I would recommend, will go a long way.

But mos important is what your budget is, and what you want out of the car.

You can do some pretty simple checks to see if the struts are bad.
How would i know if struts are blown ? I mean car doesn't bounce 3 times after each mump, but i does rebound very quick so i feel every single inperfection on the road. Especially on grawel roads and bad city block roads. On potholes i hear loud thumb noise.
My choices are KYB AGX or Tokico D-spec DSP 10, had tokicos before on my 03 wrx 2 years ago, they where nice,but i had them with stock springs so it felt a bit overdampened. Don't know about KYB's.
I just need everyday comfort, because i drive 700-800 miles every week easily, and this is just pain to drive at this point.

My budget is around 800-900 $ on struts + springs.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
The D-spec is more adjustable, it is a pretty clear choice over the AGX.

It sounds like overkill for a mild spring though, and I don't see how you could get it done within budget. Depending on whether they are the drop you want, Swift Sport springs would be the place to start looking. With a set of Tokico hp you would be under budget a little.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Is everything tight and aligned properly?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is everything tight and aligned properly?
Yes , i went to dealership another day and they said that everything tight and as it should be. They found nothing wrong with suspension. But from my experience with wrx's and struts on them i know there is something wrong. i would say it is way overdampened . Or 06 wrx struts not the best choice for 02 wrx.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I'm pretty confused now - over-damped and bouncy are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. The stock springs regularly hit the bump stops. If combined with regular struts that aren't blown you get the softest ride until you hit an aberration in the road, then you get the harsh thump. You are also using the bump stops frequently through corners. Somewhat stiffer springs that drop little are smoother because they stay off the bump stops more. More damping is less bouncy and harsher.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty confused now - over-damped and bouncy are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. The stock springs regularly hit the bump stops. If combined with regular struts that aren't blown you get the softest ride until you hit an aberration in the road, then you get the harsh thump. You are also using the bump stops frequently through corners. Somewhat stiffer springs that drop little are smoother because they stay off the bump stops more. More damping is less bouncy and harsher.
Yeah man, that exactly what i feel. At highway speeds on smooth road car feels ok, as soon as i hit couple cracks in road i can feel it pretty well. But at slower speeds 20-30 Mph when i hit pothole or uneven surfaces i hear a lot of thumb and almost no control, espetially when i try to stop on bumpy surface.
Anyway i'm going to buy new struts and maybe springs, because i have baby on it's way in couple of month, so i want my ride soft and smooth, but well controlable.

I know that i'm going to get Tokico D-spec, but don't know what springs to pair with those.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Swift Sports - read up on them. Or STi pinks (not the JDM).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts