ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been sitting for 2 or 3 days because i have been installing a FMIC.. After I thought everything was good I started it and it died about 1 second later.. it revs up from starting then dies... I have tried cleaning the MAF sensor as well as tightening all of the piping as i best i could. Please help! I really cant miss work very much longer and this is my only way of transport :/

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,583 Posts
Did you have to replace the intake with something aftermarket? Is it fitted correctly, does the MAF install correctly, and is the MAF harness facing forward? Did you have to replace the BPV with something aftermarket? Is that working OK too? Sounds like an intake leak somewhere or other.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i did have to replace the intake with something aftermarket. there is supposed to be a coupler connecting from the front of your turbo to the plastic intake pipes that runs under your throttle body. well mine was in 3 different pieces. haha as far as i can tell everything is fitted correctly including the MAF sensor. The MAF harness however is not facing forward it is facing backward due to a rerouting with my piping. What is the BPV? how can i tell if it is working okay too?

·
28,583 Posts
The MAF is directional. Orient it to mimic stock flow, with the harness such that air flow is from left to right with the clip forward.

·
Registered
670 Posts
make sure you didn't pinch or stretch your throttle cable somewhere too. also make sure it sits on top of the intake... not below it

·
Registered
38 Posts
The MAF is directional. Orient it to mimic stock flow, with the harness such that air flow is from left to right with the clip forward.
^^this

do this before you do anything else

im not sure what the MAF looks like on a subaru (as i don't have one yet) but it should have an arrow showing the direction of air flow

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!
IT was the MAF!! haha i flipped the piping around and it works! although... now when i'm driving the turbo seems to be spooling excelent! buuut it was not generating any power..and my engine temp dash guage is getting extremely hot! help :/

·
28,583 Posts
You will need a map for your particular modifications.

If the coolant temp sensor is still connected and functional and you have opened the cooling system for any reason, burp the system and gen repeat the burp. If the cooling system has not been opened and again provided the sensor is OK suspect timing problem, leading to the necessity of a map correct for your mods. If you messed with coolant hoses anywhere at all though burp, burp, burp.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont have very many mods so do i really need a map? I've got FMIC, fuel pump, stage II clutch, Turbo back exhaust, and cold air intake. and i did have to remove the radiator to try to fit the front mount in. although i went another route...I do have a guy that runs VG Tuning here in Utah who will tune my car for 150... So should i still go and get a map??

·
28,583 Posts
You don't need the FMIC, intake, or fuel pump. You also don't need the stage II clutch.

Since you messed with the radiator, you need to burp the system; that's why it's overheating.

I find it unlikely the car will run correctly with a CAI, FMIC, and pump but I have been wrong before and in any case, you can't find out until you fix the overheating problem. Burp the system and go from there.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
intake and turbo-back will require a tune since you've pretty dramatically changed airflow in/out of the engine. Its debatable that a intercooler will require a different tune if done all by itself but since you changed the intake and exhaust YES as others have stated you now need to tune the car.

Take it up to your guy and let him at it .. you'll be pleasantly surprised with the improvement on a proper tune.

·
28,583 Posts
OK I should clarify why I stated the engine will need a new map:

1. Turbo back exhaust - No, does not need EM.
2. CAI - Maybe.
3. FMIC - Probably.
4. Pump - If the FPR works, no, does not need EM.
5. BOV - No, EM a moot point; however now there is an intake leak.

No turbo was mentioned so I pictured a stocker.

It is the combination of #2 and #3 that made me say what I said.

Anyway, again, first the OP must burp the cooling system and then we'll see.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
OK I should clarify why I stated the engine will need a new map:

1. Turbo back exhaust - No, does not need EM.
2. CAI - Maybe.
3. FMIC - Probably.
4. Pump - If the FPR works, no, does not need EM.
5. BOV - No, EM a moot point; however now there is an intake leak.

No turbo was mentioned so I pictured a stocker.

It is the combination of #2 and #3 that made me say what I said.

Anyway, again, first the OP must burp the cooling system and then we'll see.
If the CAI is larger in diameter then it can/will cause the car to stall out. The MAF needs to be adjusted to measure the larger volume of air. The AEM CAI is damn near a big MAF.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts