Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of going with Mishimoto set up instead of the stock... Would it be better to use their brand of coolant or the Subaru coolant? Seems it's more expensive, not sure if better or worth it?
Also if the stock fans work fine, am thinking to just use those instead of buying mishimoto set up. The car is mostly stock, just exhaust & couple parts aftermarket.
Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
I won't merge your thread on the topic of aftermarket radiators, although any other posts will be merged. Its easier to keep the questions in a single thread so its easier to follow what you are doing.

Buy the oem radiator, Mishimoto radiators have a long storied history of being poor quality. you don't have a choice but to use Subaru or compatible coolant. Considering the Subaru brand coolant easily goes 100k miles without needing service it would be advantageous to use it.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,589 Posts
Definitely use only the stock fans.

I've switched to the blue coolant for many years now. I'd not use Mishimoto-branded *anything* except their radiator -- and I'd be cautious with that too. The saving grace is low price and that it can be repaired at home if needed because it's metal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced my oem radiator with a mishimoto and had quite a few issues with the hoses aligning correctly and temperature issues (until lil blues front end got dinged and went back to an oem). So, I agree with the others, stick with the oem radiator - it may cost more, but in the long run, you’ll save yourself money from all the other stuff downwind that happens!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,589 Posts
If you use a Gates hose and buy a spare you can trim it to make it fit even with an oversize rad. It’s a pain in the butt but it’s doable. I’ve resorted to that myself. The hose will fight back so I used t clamps instead of screw clamps and I used Emory cloth on the top hose nipple to make it as smooth and round as possible. So far so good. I don’t use a Mishi I use another brand and I switched to “race style” rad only because my temp gauge creeped up on the hottest day in history in stop and go traffic (it was an honest to goodness 50’ ambient and I bet you could fry eggs on the tarmac!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts